Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about setting up a front IFS on my chassis and using a Hummer H1 set up. That or I will have to take a 9" center and make the rest from scratch. do you think a H1 set up will hold up? is the center section equivlent to a 60 for strength? do you think the axles themselfs will hold up? I know I will have to limit my travel down from 16" to probabley 12" any how just some thoughts...And I wanted to see what you guys thought for strength and durability.....

Also key point for strength....I plan to run the engine in the rear so there wont be as much weight up front...

Alumn CJ call or PM me I want to talk to you about running the motor in the back I know you did this with your moon buggy and ran an atlas with a 350 trans....curious ... do you change something in the atlas so your forward/ reverse gears run correctley??

Thanks for any input :beer:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Hmm, have you looked at Shannon Campbell's KOH racer for this year, pretty much what you are describing.

Hummer's use AMC20 ring and pinions, which are plenty strong with the hub gear reductions factored in. Don't know how much travel you can get out of one of those setups, though. They have inboard brakes. Cool trick, lift a tire in one, gas it to spin the tire to like 60 mph, and stomp the brakes, it snaps the axleshaft.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would use a 9"(so you can run it upside down w/the right slingers) and definatly go with outboard brakes. I think you would be better off scratch building the IFS so you can make the arms as wide as possible for the chassis...just my .02.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
yeah but shannons center section costs 6k so the H1 idea came up in conversation the other night
And the CV joints ain't cheap, either.

I would go scratch built, too. I would think a hummer center chunk is strong enough, though, those AMC20s are 8.875" rings and decently strong, although llimited in the low gearing. I think you can now get 4.88s, used to be 4.56 was as low as it got....

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I think the hummer parts are a waiste. If I deside to do it I will stick with a 9" center sec. and build from that. Yes haggar I did look at campbells set up it is pretty awsome.
Here is a link to one built from a 9" center....pretty bad ass set up

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761183

I cant wait to see how these rigs perform at KOH to see if its worth the big money and time to build a front end....I am really curious to see how the solid fronts and the IFS compare through out the different speeds and terrian they will see at KOH.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts