Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give Cary at Got Propane a call.

This guy is a top notch dude, answered any and all questions and even hooked me up, since I will be running one of the higher powered motors that he has put a kit together for he wants to see what will happen :sonicjay:

I know Nuzzy here has dealt with him and has nothing but good things to say about him as well.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Definitely a stand up guy! Sure you can maybe piece together old stuff for cheaper, but the parts this guy sends are unreal. And EVERYTHING is included, with all seals and gaskets upgraded. :brilliant

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
He's big with the Toyota kits, has answered all of my questions quite well. Nice guy. Plus he wheels this sweet buggy on 42s:

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Sure you can maybe piece together old stuff for cheaper, but the parts this guy sends are unreal. And EVERYTHING is included, with all seals and gaskets upgraded. :brilliant
I have heard he IS a nice guy. But it's no secret you can put together a kit with new parts for half the price.

Some people just like to get on the horn and order stuff up, and that is cool too. Honestly it can get super confusing.

If your looking to do a toy or other 4 or small 6... this may help you :thumb:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=15742&highlight=propane

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
I have heard he IS a nice guy. But it's no secret you can put together a kit with new parts for half the price.

Some people just like to get on the horn and order stuff up, and that is cool too. Honestly it can get super confusing.

<----------------- No patience :sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

I knew I'd fawk something up trying to order parts seperately :bdr2:

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Acme Alternate Fuel Systems, Inc
Ph.507-345-4000
Fax.507-345-4100

You tell them what you want to run motor wise and they will get you the parts. I purchase all my stuff for my 22r for 1/2 the cost of gotpropane's kit. Same exact stuff, except I received nicer line connecters with my setup.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yep, you pay for the convenience, fo sho. (I'm not running pane, but I've seen his prices).

·
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try to find the mixer that he uses for his SBC kits.

I found a few for 650 dollars alone online... there aren't a lot of them, and it's a small company that makes them, it's some old lady that holds the patent and only makes so many per year or something like that. Then add the shims that he is going to and do a few other modifications for me since I will be running one of the higher powered motors that he has had yet, you think a lot of people post that on the internet?

Throw in the rest of the stuff in the kit, and the ease of set up, and tunability over the impco 425, there's no jets to change in the X450, there is a power vavle. Everyone that you have seen running propane on a V8 probably stunk like all hell, that's due to the fact that you have to richen them up so much to get them to run out on the big end. The X450 has a power valve built in to it :)

We'll see how it goes, he said if I'm not happy with it, send it back.

That's good enough for me.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
since I will be running one of the higher powered motors that he has had yet, you think a lot of people post that on the internet?

:thumb:

The world isn't ready for a motor with 355 cubic inches:tonka:

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Forgive my idiocy, but if you have an SBC why couldn't you just scam the complete kit from a School bus boneyard? There used to be a bunch of propane setups on school buses at the local boneyard. I was always going to go get one, then they crushed all the cars last year and closed up shop. When they were open he has a running 100k mile SBC on propane in a bus. I asked how much, and for the setup including the motor it was $400.

·
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgive my idiocy, but if you have an SBC why couldn't you just scam the complete kit from a School bus boneyard? There used to be a bunch of propane setups on school buses at the local boneyard. I was always going to go get one, then they crushed all the cars last year and closed up shop. When they were open he has a running 100k mile SBC on propane in a bus. I asked how much, and for the setup including the motor it was $400.
Did you read what I typed about the mixer?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts

You're a moron.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Did you read what I typed about the mixer?
Is it a different mixer then what would have been on the buses? I honestly do not know? I just know the bus he ran the motor in for me didn't have any propane smell when running that I could tell.

That was before I knew he benefits of propane though, I would have scooped that shit up, my jeep was a stocker then :(

You're a moron.

why the hell am I a moron, It was a couple years ago I looked at the particular bus it was in, I know nothing of propane and didn't claim to? Hell my jeep was stock back then.

·
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it a different mixer then what would have been on the buses? I honestly do not know? I just know the bus he ran the motor in for me didn't have any propane smell when running that I could tell.

That was before I knew he benefits of propane though, I would have scooped that shit up, my jeep was a stocker then :(
Most setups run an Impco 425. Which is great for stock motors, with higher power requireing more fuel, you have to jet them so fat on the bottom to compensate for the big end. (And they stink REALLY BAD) You can find thoose online for like 50 bucks add a cheap regulator and a shut off valve and you're all set, for a cheap setup that will run like ass.

I couldn've peiced a kit together for dirt cheap, but my fuel system isn't something that I want to skimp on and have to f' around with all of the time to keep it running, or changing jets to tune it. I remember having to do that all the time when I ran carb'd motors. I absolutely hated it.

The X450 has one adjustment screw. No jets to mess around with and everything. The Impcos wear out a lot faster and leak fuel as well, causing them to run even richer. Which is something that I do NOT want.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Most setups run an Impco 425. Which is great for stock motors, with higher power requireing more fuel, you have to jet them so fat on the bottom to compensate for the big end. (And they stink REALLY BAD) You can find thoose online for like 50 bucks add a cheap regulator and a shut off valve and you're all set, for a cheap setup that will run like ass.

I couldn've peiced a kit together for dirt cheap, but my fuel system isn't something that I want to skimp on and have to f' around with all of the time to keep it running, or changing jets to tune it. I remember having to do that all the time when I ran carb'd motors. I absolutely hated it.

The X450 has one adjustment screw. No jets to mess around with and everything. The Impcos wear out a lot faster and leak fuel as well, causing them to run even richer. Which is something that I do NOT want.

Thank's I understand now :thumb:

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
why the hell am I a moron, It was a couple years ago I looked at the particular bus it was in, I know nothing of propane and didn't claim to? Hell my jeep was stock back then.

Because that bus system won't work on the most powerful motor evah!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
wow, i've never even thought of running propane in a rig. Why would you want to out of curiousity?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts