Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
"Grocery Getter"
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got back from the auto show and wasnt very impressed at all. However i sat in a new Jk for the first time and i love em. I want me a 4 door rubi... nice upgrade from my wj. I'd love to get one from AEV with a hemi in it and 37's but that prob never happinin! I cant afford stock one from the dealer now. For you guys that have em out there, what you think?

·
Web Wheeling!
1,390 Posts
Do they offer the Hemi in the JK now? Even if they did I'm not sure if I'd want one. I still prefer the TJ over the JK. But to each his own.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a JK its a little underpowered and the stability control takes a lot of the fun out of it in the snow but other than that its nice.

I have the 4 door with the dual tops and that thing looks like and erector set to assemble but Ill let you know in the summer.

·
"Grocery Getter"
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do they offer the Hemi in the JK now? Even if they did I'm not sure if I'd want one. I still prefer the TJ over the JK. But to each his own.

you can order a jk from AEV with two diff hemi's, not from the factory

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I was driving a 2 door Rubicon for awhile. I liked it, but the traction control is a PITA... and even if you turn it off it will still activate.

I was only getting about 16 mpg avg with the 2 door Rubi and the 6 speed... Don't think I would want to own one for a DD not knowing what fuel is going to do. I have 2 other jeeps to bleed me to death in the fuel dept.

It was an odd feeling getting out of my CJ2A one day, then getting in the JK Rubi.... I felt, dirty.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I have a JK its a little underpowered and the stability control takes a lot of the fun out of it in the snow but other than that its nice.

I have the 4 door with the dual tops and that thing looks like and erector set to assemble but Ill let you know in the summer.
You can disable the esp. There is a factory computer flash that takes care of the ability to disable or enable it with out it taking over at a certain speed. For me ours has sufficient power but then we have a Rubicon with the lower gears in the axles and the 4 to 1 low t-case. I'm sure when we go to bigger tires I will want more power tho.

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
you can order a jk from AEV with two diff hemi's, not from the factory
We can build you one at Unlimited, too. That's what we put in our shop JK, a 6.1. You can also do a 6.4, but it's a bit spendy. :sonicjay:

·
NO HABLA JEEP
214 Posts
Watch out for the front D44 on the Rubicon's, they are bending with 35's and bigger when used for moderate wheeling.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have had my 2 door JK X for about 9 months now and absolutely love it. Compared to the 2000 TJ I had, I do agree that the 3.7 feels a bit under-powered but for daily driving it has not been a problem for me (I only really noticed it in the summer when towing a jet ski around).

As far as comfort goes, I don't think there is any comparison to the TJ... it seems light years ahead of it in how smoothly it handles just because of the few extra inches in length and width.

I have the dual tops and the Freedom Top hard top is really nice (a bit more wind noise than the TJ had though) but the soft top is a big improvement. Once you get the knack of it, it goes up and down much more quickly.

·
825 Posts
I have the unlimited & love it. I agree that its a bit under powered. I put an after market cold air system on it & it helped a lot. I'm running a 2" lift with 33's, 6 speed & getting 16-20 mpg. It has 3.21 gears that i'm hoping to change out soon.

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
...the traction control is a PITA... and even if you turn it off it will still activate.
Not in low gear, found out about this trying to get my wife out of a stuck in the snow.

I drive a basically stock Rubicon LJ and we got my wife a JK unlimited when our XJ died. She wanted it since she first saw one and I wasn't complaining :woot: so yes, ours is a minivan replacement basically. But I think that's a positive in this day of failing auto companies... we NEED Jeep to build multi-purpose vehicles to stay in business! At least it's still got solid axles!

It is different than the LJ, no doubt, but it's a fantastic vehicle for her. Ours has the tow package and limited slip rear diff. With the stock street tires it's a BEAST in the snow. I was really surprised how well it does. The ABS works great and saved her once already when a herd of deer ran out in front of her on the snow and I feel better with the traction control system on there.

It has MUCH more cargo room than the XJ did and with the back seats folded down it's damn near a cargo van (tall roof helps a ton).

We keep our daughter's carseat in the middle in the back and normal sized adults can sit beside it, though it's a bit tight. Still better than our XJ though. Rear seat legroom isn't great unless you pull up the front seats some.

Ours does surprisingly well on gas too. She gets about 17-18 driving back and forth to UM on backroads and some "city" near UM and we've gotten 24-25 on the highway on trips. That's close to what some small "fuel efficient" cars are being touted with now. I'll agree on underpowered with the stock engine, but I'll take the trade for the (surprising) gas mileage she gets. Compared to my LJ, this thing sips gas. I stopped trying to calculate it on the LJ.

We have the hard top and she likes being able to pull the tops over her head, but she doesn't do it much because we don't want them off when she parks at UM, so mainly on weekends.

We're probably getting a soft top off a friend who had to sell his dual top JK, that should be better for the nice weather.

We've had some issues with it, some water leaks at the joint in the front on the top, the door latches have been recalled for some noises they make, we had a bad EGR valve and there's some other small things I can't remember.

Overall my wife loves it and I hope we can keep it long enough to have some fun with after it's retired from DD duty :thumb:

I'd love to be able to wheel a Rubicon edition, I feel like it'd be a great rig.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a JK and couldn't be happier with it... I would have liked a swb, but I had to consider the size of my family when making this kind of investment; I still wanted to be able to enjoy my sport/hobby, and to achieve this on a regular basis it meant being able to fit the whole family, so I opted for the unlimited.

And because my wife was being evil at the time about me spending additional money modifying another vehicle [she’s been down that road with me for twenty years:teehee:] I knew the best way too temporarily avoid conflict was to just get a Rubicon. It gave me a good platform that should hold me over for a while before I had to go down any major upgrade path, but it still never ends…

With the 6spd, 4.10’s, a few inches of lift, and stock 32’s I average 16mpg; but on longer trips averaging 60mph I have seen 20mpg. I have put 23,000 miles on it which included a trip to Moab and the only problem I have had at all is a sticky window… I say not bad considering it’s a new platform.

I say go for it; just be prepared to be hated on! But that matters not to me, I am thrilled with my decision, and at the end of the day that’s all that really matters… The JK, even the unlimited will wheel with the best of them, so don’t buy into all of the hype.

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
I say go for it; just be prepared to be hated on! But that matters not to me, I am thrilled with my decision, and at the end of the day that’s all that really matters… The JK, even the unlimited will wheel with the best of them, so don’t buy into all of the hype.
CJ owners hated the YJ and TJ, now TJ owners are hating the JK, it's just the "old school" (and as a CJ owner, I find it funny how the TJ crowd feels like they're the original Jeep crowd :teehee:) hating on the "new kid"

It's just like the seniors hazing the freshmen, they had to go through it, so they're going to put us through it.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
CJ owners hated the YJ and TJ, now TJ owners are hating the JK, it's just the "old school" (and as a CJ owner, I find it funny how the TJ crowd feels like they're the original Jeep crowd :teehee:) hating on the "new kid"

It's just like the seniors hazing the freshmen, they had to go through it, so they're going to put us through it.
Ive noticed that too, I still think TJs look stupid and girly, actually like the JK better.

Still wouldnt want anything by my YJ:finger:

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
I have had my 2 door JK X for about 9 months now and absolutely love it. Compared to the 2000 TJ I had, I do agree that the 3.7 feels a bit under-powered but for daily driving it has not been a problem for me (I only really noticed it in the summer when towing a jet ski around).

you do not have 3.7L :poke:

·
Postal Scrambler
807 Posts
Ive noticed that too, I still think TJs look stupid and girly, actually like the JK better.

Still wouldnt want anything by my YJ:finger:
Actually, I should say that there are SOME TJ/YJ/CJ folks saying things like that, I didn't mean to make a complete blanket generalization.

As long as there's something easily buildable (JK is DEFINITELY that, probably moreso than anything before it) that has solid axles coming out of Jeep, I'm all for whatever they have to do to stay in business and keep them coming :rock:

It's a new one on me to hear a YJ guy knock TJs on anything other than the curly springs :poke: I can't hardly tell the difference in them otherwise except for the goofy square headlights :poke:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts