Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dorkasaurus
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so that was a bit swish. Anyway...

Like most everyone else with a CJ, I experienced the dreaded Hub-to-Rotor bolt loosening while on my UP vacation. You know, where the lock-out bodies bolt to the front brake rotor. No big deal, I caught them in time, but I guess it's time to do a simple upgrade and put this potential issue to rest. I'm pretty sure I can figure this out, but I won't get to it until the weekend, so I thought I'd solicite any hints, tricks, or hard-earned advice.

My basic plan is to pull one of the bolts, use a nail or some other narrow pointy thing (insert obvious joke here) to see how deep the holes are, and then go to the store and see if I can buy threaded rod/studs in grade 8 that are an inch to an inch-and-a-half longer than the hole is deep. Also buy some lock washers and grade 8 nuts (nylocks if available) and double-nut the threads to turn them in. I will probably use the tougher LokTite as well, just to be safer. Has anyone tried this with Nylocks, or is there a reason not to go this route? Double Nylocks? Overkill or a good idea?

So anyway, if anyone who has done this and has some good advice, let me know. Thanks as always!

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
If you are going to use studs, see if ARP makes anything thats the right size. On Toyotas, which use a similar 6-bolt external hub, the factory arrangement is 6 studs. The ARP studs are much stronger.

The best is if you can have them machined to take cone-washers. stud, cone washer, lock washer, nut. And if you ahve stronger bolts, you'll want higher torque,because the strength is generated by the clamping force, not by shear strength of the bolts. So higher stud torque = more clamping force.

Might also be possible to machine for dowel pins and run hardened pins in parallel to the upgraded studs.

Those are the things that are done on toyotas, anyway. On a toy axle, those options last just fine with 40" tires (they toy hubs are far stronger than the little jeep ones on d30s).

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
This is a toy hub, hard to see, but on the studs are the cone washers. Those keep things from loosening up much better than bolts do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts