Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch......

I used to wakeboard and barefoot a lot, I competed, won some tournaments, etc. I used to practice at least a couple times a week when I was younger and what not.....anyway, I somewhat lost interest over the last 4-5 years and really have only gone a few times per year since then....

Well yesterday I was at my parents and my dad always "begs" my brothers and I to ski, so I decided to do some barefooting....it was a little rough but hey.

Too bad I don't have pictures or video, because I know I flat out knocked the crap out of myself, but I took a digger barefooting that is pretty much leaving me dead today.

Caught my right tow, did a 180 flip, head caught water, body spun 360 and flipped, feet smacked water, maybe a tumble or two more but I can't recall.....good god did it hurt.....

So THEN my dad convinces me to wakeboard....so I use a different board then normal....and I proceed to pretty much fall every time I jump the wake and try to do something....anyone who wakeboards knows those falls even at 20 mph can hurt like hell today.....

Anyway I wake up this morning and I think I might be dead...

rosie out.

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
Ouch......

I used to wakeboard and barefoot a lot, I competed, won some tournaments, etc. I used to practice at least a couple times a week when I was younger and what not.....anyway, I somewhat lost interest over the last 4-5 years and really have only gone a few times per year since then....

Well yesterday I was at my parents and my dad always "begs" my brothers and I to ski, so I decided to do some barefooting....it was a little rough but hey.

Too bad I don't have pictures or video, because I know I flat out knocked the crap out of myself, but I took a digger barefooting that is pretty much leaving me dead today.

Caught my right tow, did a 180 flip, head caught water, body spun 360 and flipped, feet smacked water, maybe a tumble or two more but I can't recall.....good god did it hurt.....

So THEN my dad convinces me to wakeboard....so I use a different board then normal....and I proceed to pretty much fall every time I jump the wake and try to do something....anyone who wakeboards knows those falls even at 20 mph can hurt like hell today.....

Anyway I wake up this morning and I think I might be dead...

rosie out.
not sure how but last year wakeboarding i bruised 2 ribs compressed 2 disks in my back.. the bruised ribs caused my muscles to pull against my upper vertebrae and twist my back up.. hurt like hell for like 2-3mos hard to bend over and stuff oh well..

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how but last year wakeboarding i bruised 2 ribs compressed 2 disks in my back.. the bruised ribs caused my muscles to pull against my upper vertebrae and twist my back up.. hurt like hell for like 2-3mos hard to bend over and stuff oh well..
Oh it can happen, I have broken my back waterskiing, concussions, pulled muscles, black eyes, stiches, etc.

Some of the falls can be wicked, and the force of landing on water while traveling 20 mph falling from 5-10-15 feet in the area can really do some damage.....

When I originally broke my back the muscles in my lower did similar to what you are talking about....except mine has lasted 10 years...chiropracter is my friend.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
I used to wake board all the time..I was never very good at doing tricks but I could catch some really good air and clear the wake without question...so last year I decied to do alittle wake boarding...what a mistake...I jump alittle, catch alittle air nothing big..then I start to go for the wake, first one land it no problem, second same thing..third attempt nose dive smash, 20-0 in less than a second, knock the wind out of me, done wake boarding...forever

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,169 Posts
Sounds kinda wimpy. I am 50 years old and still barefoot and slalom ski. Ran the course at 28 off both Friday and yesterday.

Young kids.............. just can't hack it.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Sounds kinda wimpy. I am 50 years old and still barefoot and slalom ski. Ran the course at 28 off both Friday and yesterday.

be carefull I was taken out by a hose........:tonka:

·
SlowBalt SS
2,493 Posts
After almost 2 Months of being on Medical Leave from work i went to work with my uncle this morning installing windows and off course were doing Insulated Hurricane impact windows and a 16 foot double pocket door... Well to say the least we left at 7:30 this morning got there around 8, Was 87 on the truck thermostat outside... got all the windows in by 9(only 13 windows) then we where going to start on the door and i was thirsty as hell so i went to the cooler and off course NO ICE and 2 WARM Vault's(drinks like a Soda Kicks like an energy drink). So i grab both of them take one to my uncle and crack the other one open take a drink and set it on the ground mean while my uncle comes over and kicks it and says oops... So he gave me his, Anyways we got home around 12 and its now 97 outside..

Cliffs: First time working in 2 months, 2 warm pops, 97 outside and Sunny NO BREEZE, Thought i was going to pass out.. 4 hours with 2 15min breaks.

Heading to the pool
Peace!

:End Rant

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Heh, bring it on old man :rock:

Sad part is I was barefooting off the 5 foot lead on the boom, I would like to get back into barefoot endurance racing and figure 8 comps...do they still do those?

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
After almost 2 Months of being on Medical Leave from work i went to work with my uncle this morning installing windows and off course were doing Insulated Hurricane impact windows and a 16 foot double pocket door... Well to say the least we left at 7:30 this morning got there around 8, Was 87 on the truck thermostat outside... got all the windows in by 9(only 13 windows) then we where going to start on the door and i was thirsty as hell so i went to the cooler and off course NO ICE and 2 WARM Vault's(drinks like a Soda Kicks like an energy drink). So i grab both of them take one to my uncle and crack the other one open take a drink and set it on the ground mean while my uncle comes over and kicks it and says oops... So he gave me his, Anyways we got home around 12 and its now 97 outside..

Cliffs: First time working in 2 months, 2 warm pops, 97 outside and Sunny NO BREEZE, Thought i was going to pass out.. 4 hours with 2 15min breaks.

Heading to the pool
Peace!

:End Rant
did you go skiing on your breaks? I'm so confused:confused:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,169 Posts
Heh, bring it on old man :rock:

Sad part is I was barefooting off the 5 foot lead on the boom, I would like to get back into barefoot endurance racing and figure 8 comps...do they still do those?
Don't know about the figure 8's. The only time I saw one was at the State Show Ski tourney at Stoney Creek.

Endurance races are still going strong. There is one on the Maumee River and one on the backwaters of the Tippy dam this year. Don't know the dates. I only did one endurance race........ didn't like it. I am an early morning, calm water footer.

hahaha,,,,,,, doesn't sound like I need to "bring it on" if you took a header on the leader. But if you want to go on the course.........

Actually, I hate the leader. I would rather long line. I don't do any tricks any more, just enjoy the glide. I was doing some tumbles a few years back & caught a shoulder. Took about 3 months to heal. I can do without that. Only thing I do on the leader is one foots with a pair of Dawg Paws. (I'm too dam fat to do one foots barefoot......... 44 mph falls hurt)

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to get a team together for an endurance race...I love rough water footing, the falls are much more spectacular....hell I was a show skier, you know what "calm" show ski water is like.

As for the leader I have more fun on it because MOST times you fall you can tumble back up and keep going, plus I can "usually" do more tricks.

As for the fall itself, I was on the boom, transitioned to the handle, did my swing out, and caught a toe as I went through some saturday afternoon tuber chop. I mean it was 2-3pm on a saturday :tonka:

Figure eights were my favorite, I placed pretty well as a 14yr old in a couple :sonicjay:

I could never ski the course, I couldn't get the timing down.....and I was 12, behind a four winns, on a 67" ski

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,169 Posts
Swing outs are fun unless you turn in the direction of the end of the boom. (sideways falls are hard on the ear):sonicjay: (it wasn't me)

If you are serious about an endurance team I will pm you an email of a guy who is fluent with them. He's one of the guys I foot with. Depending on when you quit Silver Lake you may know him.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
I didn't do much actual skiing behind a boat growing up, as I did playing on 750 stand up jetski's. my brother's is still at my parent's house, no doubt with a seized motor from sitting out, and not started for the 4 years he's been in denver

about hitting the water, I will agree, that having a "yard sale" at 40+ mph on the water hurts way more than most people who have never done it can fathom.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swing outs are fun unless you turn in the direction of the end of the boom. (sideways falls are hard on the ear):sonicjay: (it wasn't me)

If you are serious about an endurance team I will pm you an email of a guy who is fluent with them. He's one of the guys I foot with. Depending on when you quit Silver Lake you may know him.
My boat would work well for an endurance run also :thumb:

PM his name over, I'd love to get back into it, but would need some serious training, my feet were actually sore after a couple medium-short runs, definately need some toughening up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts