Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taxi's with gps

Do people not understand that 90% of gps mapping type systems are receive units only? Things like garmin, tomtom, etc.. are just receivers that plot your position. The only widespread transmit/receive units are cell phones so 911 can locate you. So, if you know the exact units getting installed and find out they are receive only units...how is it an invasion of privacy?

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
taxi's with gps

Do people not understand that 90% of gps mapping type systems are receive units only? Things like garmin, tomtom, etc.. are just receivers that plot your position. The only widespread transmit/receive units are cell phones so 911 can locate you. So, if you know the exact units getting installed and find out they are receive only units...how is it an invasion of privacy?
I didn't read the whole story, but it said GPS tracking. So I am guessing it's like the units in cop cars where they know where they are. The will no longer be able to cheat the system if their office knows where they are all the time.

Things like..
Saying they are too far away to pick up a fare..
leaving their assigned area...
running a little under the table ride..
taking fares on a tour rather than the shortest route..
Won't be as easy to get away with.

They run a lot of dope in cabs too...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Since they are going to impliment a credit card payment system, it might actually make it safer to be a cabbie since they won't have to carry as much cash.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't read the whole story, but it said GPS tracking. So I am guessing it's like the units in cop cars where they know where they are. The will no longer be able to cheat the system if their office knows where they are all the time.

Things like..
Saying they are too far away to pick up a fare..
leaving their assigned area...
running a little under the table ride..
taking fares on a tour rather than the shortest route..
Won't be as easy to get away with.

They run a lot of dope in cabs too...
The system they plan to put in is strictly for the customers to find locations. It's not the tracking type system.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
The system they plan to put in is strictly for the customers to find locations. It's not the tracking type system.
Could be, the only info I have is from the story you posted.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A group representing thousands of taxi drivers said last week it will idle cabs in September if the city goes ahead with a plan to require installation of GPS tracking systems.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be, the only info I have is from the story you posted.
yeah, cnn's new linking system replaces some text in articles to link them all together on common subjects. I had actually seen the same article over on AP yesterday and it merely mentioned a tomtom unit.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I can't see the bitch about a Tom-Tom, unless they have been taking the "long route" for out of towners?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't see the bitch about a Tom-Tom, unless they have been taking the "long route" for out of towners?
I can't see the bitch about a true tracking system if a cabbie drives for a taxi company honestly. if they're a freelancer then yeah.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I don't see where you get this. It says customers will be able to find locations, but it mentions a few times that there will be tracking systems that monitor movement. Probably two different systems.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Wonde how many stops at the quickie mart would they find ?

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
send and recieve has been on most large trucking companies for years . The companies use them to locate there trucks . We use to track down trucks for them off it when drivers would park the truck and quite there job .

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
send and recieve has been on most large trucking companies for years . The companies use them to locate there trucks . We use to track down trucks for them off it when drivers would park the truck and quite there job .
yes, but those units are specifically for tracking. the feature they want to add to the taxi's is mainly for allowing the customers to search for places. tracking units are also more expensive.

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
I used to work for a garbage truck co. They use gps to check on the locations of the trucks. Makes business sense to me.

The privacy issue? An employer should be able to know the where-abouts of the employee during company time (especially if they have a $30,000+ piece of company inventory).

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
yes, but those units are specifically for tracking. the feature they want to add to the taxi's is mainly for allowing the customers to search for places. tracking units are also more expensive.
Don't believe everything you read. I'm sure there is a misprint by the reporter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts