Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jeep>volkswagen
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off im not one to ask for advice on the whole hey fix my shit.. i hate having shops or other people work on my stuff.. trust issues from the past, i just havent had time since i got this thing to make it right...
00 XJ 4.0 auto.. shown in pictar below name..
bought it in december drove it home no problems and let it sit until a couple weeks ago, when i try to start it it backfires through the muffler which means too much fuel.. assuming its something with the timing or cam sensor? no codes pop up..

i guess whoever wants to work on it could replace the stud that holds the axle in place as well... id pay whatever, i just wanna take it to copper harbor next month but have been working 80+ a week for the past 3 months and dont see the time coming to work on it anytime soon.
i can drag it to you if your close or have a towtruck drop it off..

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
Too much fuel could mean not enough air. Mice build a nest sitting so long?

·
jeep>volkswagen
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tab- id go up there but its like a 2.5 hour ride and i dont have a tow vehicle... forgot to say somewhere close to detroit.

ridindirty- never thought about that one.. it seemed rather shady when i bought it for so cheap that something wouldnt be wrong with the kid playing i know nothing about cars while wearing a dragracing jacket..

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
My 2000 did the same thing after being parked in the driveway for a few weeks... You have to try installing a crank sensor. Two bolts on the top back of the trans and you're done.

At least try one before paying for a tow.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
also the 4.0l have a problem with the tps sensor on the side of the throttle body so that is also a good spot to start

·
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
1,712 Posts
My 2000 did the same thing after being parked in the driveway for a few weeks... You have to try installing a crank sensor. Two bolts on the top back of the trans and you're done.

At least try one before paying for a tow.
also the 4.0l have a problem with the tps sensor on the side of the throttle body so that is also a good spot to start
crank sensor is usually as no fire situation, and you can check the tps by unplugging it. everytime mine went bad i just unplugged and manually shifted the tranny.

teh worst thing you can do is just randomly throw money at it. dont replace parts if you dont know they are defective. check your air inlet first. is the fuel old? old gas will make it run terrible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
uha ul trailer for 75 a day. not bad.
first thought be cps but after reading your post again i cant say your assumptions are valid in person is a easier tear for someone that is experienced first hand. could be possibly electrical connection or bar wire insulation at the fender wall. traveling man good with his hands perhaps helps you understand you need to hire a better man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts