Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run a chip or program on their TJ?

I either need to do a stroker or get a program for some more power. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with one.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
Stroker. Chip or a programmer won't do shit. My stroker should have 255hp @ 4500 and 325 @ 3500 and 292 @ 2000 torque. Not bad for not having that hot of a cam.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the guy I ran with this weekend had no shortage of power. He is running some sort of chip. We just don't know what.

·
2257 Compliant
331 Posts
I am currently using the Hypertec programmer. Mixed in with everything else (intake, exhaust, ignition) it's OK. A stroker would be much better .

A little editorial comment. The programmer industry built their reputation from reprogramming diesel pick up engines. Most of these engines (Powerstroke, Cummins) were taken out of a big truck, detuned and put in a pick up. These engines come out of the factory in a pick up running at about 50-60% of their potential. With a little ingenuity you develop a programmer, chip, etc. that brings back the power that was taken out of these engines. The result is a pick up that doubles as a race car. I have a Banks set up in my old 7.3 and I love it.

That logic does not flow into gas motors including our beloved 4.0 I6 as they come out of the factory much closer to their maximum potential. If you want to run premium fuel a programmer will help you find a “little” more horsepower especially if you have done some other mods like intake, exhaust, ignition and so on, and that’s OK. I plead guilty to having to try this stuff.

Depending on where you want your performance (acceleration, climbing, mudding) your money is better spent on gears. Gearing a stock jeep to do exactly what you want it to do will give you performance gains the chip builders can only dream of.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
As everyone has already stated, all the "bolt ons" are not going to net enough gain to be worth while. As for real gains in power, look to add a supercharger, nitrous or a stroker.
Gears are really a great way to correct the loss of power you have. I currently am running 4.10 with 33's and will be moving to 4.56 this winter with an axle swap to get back to where I feel comfortable. If that does not get it, then a stroker will be in the future.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts
You could swap cams if you wanted to. Might need to get new injectors, all depends on the HP and torque it makes. A header, cat-back and air intake will give you so more perforance.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.:thumb: :thumb:

As for gearing I am at 5.38s. I dont think I am under geared.

·
I was born in the desert
1,719 Posts
Where is it you feel your lacking power (on the street, off road, hills?) I out weigh you by 1,000.lbs or more (XJ with lots of extra weight added) and have never felt it was under powered. Would I like more HP? Hell yes but a chip aint going to do shit. I have added a Borla Header, 2.5" exhaust with a Flowmaster and a home made intake tube with a K&N filter. My next step will be a supercharger (no time soon) and then stroke it with a stand alone computer for engine management (DFI/Accell type) jm2c...maybe you have a problem with your engine??? With 5:38 gears what size tire are you running. 36's or so??

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where is it you feel your lacking power
Mostly top end. I seemed to be running out of engine on hill climbs this weekend. I am possibly over geared for hill climbs like test hill at S.L. I have plenty low end when rock crawling, which was my goal.

With 5:38 gears what size tire are you running. 36's or so??

39.5 TSLs

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have the auto, so I had to really do something for test hill. I had to turn off the overdrive for one since the computer kept trying to shift back and forth due to engine rpm's vs wheelspin vs throttle requested and I also had to bypass the locker transfer case sensor so i can lock the rear in 4-hi. 4-lo was way too much wheelspin for me to get up test hill.

Now, i may be speaking out my ass here, but IMO the only time you need actual power for test hill is if you have the traction to put it down with like paddle tires and you're geared for a slow torque/power climb. otherwise I think its all a matter of air pressure and maintaining sufficient wheelspin/traction to move forward whether its by gears or by engine power and it sounds like you have the gears to do it. My hunch is you need either lower air pressure or different/better tires.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
He is a friend of ours, and it must had had it in when he bought it.
If it's a chip you can just read it to find out what it is. If it was programmed you are SOL as far as I know.

I can attest to building a ballsy 4.0 with bolt on parts but reducing the weight is far better for performance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts