Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres what i have: stock 55 willys pickup/original drive train. I'd like to stay with 5 on 5.5 wheels. I plan on dropping in a 401/ trans from a 89 grand waggy and a Ford t-case(driver drop I think its a np208?) I already picked up a Ford 9" rear and now need a front axle. A D44 would be nice but im doing this on a shoe string budget like the rest of us so a D30 is fine for now. Any suggestions would be helpful. Is it possible to use a HP D30 from a YJ/XJ and use CJ knuckles to keep the wheel size the same? I thought about a Waggy D44 but dont want a 6 bolt wheel pattern up front or a passenger drop front axle, I might go with a passenger drop only if i have no other options and pick up a D300 case. Can the waggy D44 knuckles be swapped to accept to CJ knuckles or hubs to get the 5 bolt wheel pattern?
This Willy's probably wont see any trails and if it did?........"that el be the day":sonicjay:......I havent wheeled on any trails since 2000 except for silver lake last summer. This year i finally signed up for Snoblind(if you see a tent on the side of the road up there at that time, plz dont do a drive-by):sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
yj/xj with cj inner c's and knuckles can be done I did a writeup on it, but IIRC you are running a full width 9" rear so it would be inches narrower than that.

Waggy front can be converted to 5x5.5 using small bearing spindles and ford hubs but again it would be to narrow. Also 80 up is driver drop FYI

I think your only option is a ford hp44 front with a full size 9"

If you have a EB 9" either of the first options are doable.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yj/xj with cj inner c's and knuckles can be done I did a writeup on it, but IIRC you are running a full width 9" rear so it would be inches narrower than that.

Waggy front can be converted to 5x5.5 using small bearing spindles and ford hubs but again it would be to narrow. Also 80 up is driver drop FYI

I think your only option is a ford hp44 front with a full size 9"

If you have a EB 9" either of the first options are doable.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=67134< link to write up.
I found your write up,:thumb: ill keep that in mind. I bought the 9" from one of the guys on the board/ its out of a 1977 F150.(65"width) So how can i tell what i have? "big" bearing verses "small" bearing. or do you know by what year the axle is, or dia of the axle tube??
If i found a D44 from a 78 FSB, what would i need to make it bolt up to the willys. ( i have a welder, so torching off and welding on is ok by me.)

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
If i found a D44 from a 78 FSB, what would i need to make it bolt up to the willys. ( i have a welder, so torching off and welding on is ok by me.)
the 78 and 79 F-150 and Bronco have the cast wedges which would make it a pain to convert to a leaf setup. You could use the ford radius arms and coil buckets on the willys

or find a earlier housing the the welded on mounts to use with the leafs. The only thing would be if there is enough room to mount the leaf on the driver side you might end up outboarding the leafs also.

last option would be a F-250 housing and inner shafts with f-150/bronco knuckles out for the 5 lug. This would be the cleanest looking setup IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.