Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent close to the new price of a nice plotter in fees paid to kinkos in the last 4 months for blue prints.

What kind of plotter do I need to do prints? I'd like them to be 36" in length.

Do I need a special computer to run one? Do I need special software? Or can you print to it just like a normal printer?

Wheres a good place to get one used?

thanks

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
Not sure about used, but the Canon IPF 700 is the hot ticket right now for the price. I am trying to get one here at work right now to replace our old HP. About $4k.

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
Dont need special software, or computer. Just the drivers for the printer. We've got an HP color plotter that we've had for probably 6 years now, and it still works great.

We also have an Oce plotter, but its a whole printing/scanning/copying system that I think we lease.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
We have an HP Plotter here that they wanted an offer on. It doesn't get used nearly enough for being a $3000 boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
How often do you used it?
How long do your prints need to last?
How detailed quality wise do they need to be?

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How often do you used it?
How long do your prints need to last?
How detailed quality wise do they need to be?
I'd use it every day to handle 10 or so prints.

Prints need to last a year or so. We have digital copies of everything.

Detailed enough to bid from

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
HP has a nice line of plotters. We had a DesignJet 650C at my last job. It was a lower end plotter, but worked great. They go for $400-$700 on ebay.

The DesignJet 750 and 755 are nice as well for a little over a grand. Just figure out budget and pick a model. HP's are nice because parts are so widely available for them.

You could just rent on as well... then they take care of all the BS.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HP has a nice line of plotters. We had a DesignJet 650C at my last job. It was a lower end plotter, but worked great. They go for $400-$700 on ebay.

The DesignJet 750 and 755 are nice as well for a little over a grand. Just figure out budget and pick a model. HP's are nice because parts are so widely available for them.

You could just rent on as well... then they take care of all the BS.
12 minutes to print a page? :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
My dad used to have an HP Designjet, the 42" one I believe. You don't need a special computer I don't think, the thing just hooks into your parallel port (ours was older) and it should recognize it as any other printer on your computer. You might need some software for it though to size it onto the paper right.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
12 minutes to print a page? :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay:
You should be happy its that fast. I had full on floorplan blueprints with plumbing/electrical that used to take 30-45 minutes back in the day. If you want good sharp prints you're going to get a slower plotter really.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
if you think thats slow our epson 7600 that we use for our contract prints to match the printing presses because it has to be accurate and detailed will output a 20x27 sheet in about 30-40 min depending on coverage. but it is supposed to be slow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We just upgraded from a HP designjet 750C to a HP designjet MFP scanner/plotter. The 750C is a good machine, but for a mere $20,000 more, the 820 is a hell of a machine.

They can probably run from any PC if you get the software with them, but are both pretty slow. The older ones are cheap on ebay, but the parts are getting hard to come by.

Give the guys at engineeringsupply.com a call, they do HP service & can tell you which models to watch out for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts