Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I bought one. The old Makita just gave up after 20 plus years.

Dewalts look pretty good. The Hiatachi has a larger table.
The "off brands" at Lowes have an attractive price.

Anyone have a Ridgid ? Saw that is :naughty: :naughty:

Then the HF`s are even cheaper. Buy it a few drinks then then dump it in the morning ?

Not gonna make my living off the thing but a a few cuts here and there.

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
harbor freight saw...

I usually am a cost for tools is relevant to quality kinda guy, but I have yet to kill my HF chop and I've had it a few years now. They had a 5 for $10 blade promo for awhile and I have yet to burn through my first one.

My next one will be a Hitachi

·
GL 4x4 Vendors
3,146 Posts
Then the HF`s are even cheaper. Buy it a few drinks then then dump it in the morning ?
If it lasts that long....

I tried one cuz they were cheap, but I ended up melting the brush holders.

I replaced it with a Dewalt because it was on sale and came with a free 4.5" angle grinder.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if a makita lasted 20 years then why wouldn't you get another one?
To be honest it was the 1030 wood cutting chopper. I put an abrasive disc in it and went to town. It worked pretty good but was no match for a real metal cutter.

RIP 1030

·
It's an addiction
285 Posts
Do not go with the cheepo off brand. I just bought one from Lowes and took it back the very same day. It was under powered and stalled easily. I could have cut with a butter knife faster than that POS. Go with a good name brand and you won't be sorry. You get what you pay for, especially in power tools.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
Do not go with the cheepo off brand. I just bought one from Lowes and took it back the very same day. It was under powered and stalled easily. I could have cut with a butter knife faster than that POS. Go with a good name brand and you won't be sorry. You get what you pay for, especially in power tools.

I guess you mean bind not stall. How does a electric saw stall, maybe bog but thats because the user is an idiot and is binding the blade..:confused:

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
My harbor freight one finally died when I was cutting some 4x4 1/4 inch box tube... for the 100th time.

I put some serious hurt to my HF chop saw in the 2-3 weeks that I was cutting shit for my jeep... probably 2-300 cuts on tube.. sq tube, using it as a grinder to form brackets.. whatever.

I melted one down, it's all good, I took it back, dude went to the back and got me another one, for 45 bucks, I would buy another.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I've also got a harbor freight one. It cuts, but I'll be replacing with a band saw soon.

As someone else mentioned, it stalls easy, and its not square to the table, so when you are trying to do a precise cut for something like driveshafts or cage pieces, its poor for that. Its the vertical axis which isn't straight, not really possible to fix that because its somewhat due to the base flexing as you cut.

For holley tube, or thin flat, they wrok great. Moving to something more solid, like when I cut 1" x 2.5" bar stock, its completely worthless and it can't cut all the way through.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
I know Auto Value has one on sale this month. It is a Makita Chop Saw with the metal blade and it comes with e free makita angle grinder. I been thinking heavy on it, since I need a chop saw also and I would like a new grinder.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've also got a harbor freight one. It cuts, but I'll be replacing with a band saw soon.

As someone else mentioned, it stalls easy, and its not square to the table, so when you are trying to do a precise cut for something like driveshafts or cage pieces, its poor for that. Its the vertical axis which isn't straight, not really possible to fix that because its somewhat due to the base flexing as you cut.

For holley tube, or thin flat, they wrok great. Moving to something more solid, like when I cut 1" x 2.5" bar stock, its completely worthless and it can't cut all the way through.
Thanks Mr. H,
The most imporatant jobs a CS can do. Cut true and have the power to do it.
Cross HF off the list. Thanks for the insight.

I`ll have to check on the Auto Value deal. That sounds pretty good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts