Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cordless - what ones should I look at? I don't mind paying a little extra for something that lasts, so no Black and Decker BS. Thinking Dewalt... maybe Milwaukee, but it's not something that's going to be used every day.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
Milwaukee - Best, heavy duty, you can beat the shit out of them.
Dewalt - good, semi-heavy duty will last with some abuse.
Mikita - decent, semi-heavy will not take consistant abuse
Hitachi - cheep, light duty (get a refurbed one for like 70/80$) light weight, will last but will not take a whole lot of abuse.

i only have experience with these brands, so its just my opinion.

I put up signs back in the day and used all of these.

I liked the Hitachi when i had to hold it over my head for any extended ammount of time.

The dewalts i had worked good for everyday use.

The mikita's clutch took a shit after about 6 months.

I have a Milwaukee now and i beat the shit out of it.

·
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
2,278 Posts
Milwaukee is the best, hands down. Dewalt quality is going down since they are farming all their shit out to China. My second pick would be Porter Cable. My dad has a trim carpentry business and has run a shitload of screws with his PC's over the years and they have outlived all of his DeWalts.

I actually got a 19.2v Craftsman that I beat the shit out of and it does great. It's got a lot of torque and a 1/2" chuck along with a good battery life. I think It was around $120 with a flashlight. I got the Sears 3 year warranty so if anything goes wrong I can just go get a new one.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I just got a small combp pack from home depot with the 18v milwaukee lithium ion drill and 18v impact driver for 249. it was on clearance so hurry if you want to find one. They changed the combo pack and added anothe tool and cost. the sku number was 132-148 if you want to call ahead. Awsome drill and nice and light.

·
Desert Rat
7,464 Posts
I've got a DeWalt that I have (ab)used for about ten years. If you can stretch it, get one of the 18v kits with a foursome of tools. The snakelight gets more use than the drill and uses the same battery.

·
I'm not old, honest...
31,014 Posts
Porter Cable is owned by Dewalt. I found this out when my PC battery charger quit. I had to call the Dewalt service center to buy a new one.

I have 2 Porter Cables and 1 Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is a better unit.

Stick with the 18-19 volt.

·
The land of Boredom..
4,224 Posts
Milwaukee hands down, between me and my old man, we have probably 15 cordless and 10-15 corded, a good portion of them are over 9-10 years old, and BEAT to death, dont even look like they should work. but will still out power some newer craftsman stuff.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used Dewalt for years but have been surprisingly impressed with Craftsman. I use both their drill and impact driver and both take a beating. They are pretty cheap too.

When I need to finally replace any of them I'll stick with Craftsman again.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.