Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation:
Yesterday I was pulling out of my driveway to park in front of my house. OBVIOUSLY, I started out in reverse, then proceeded to shift it into first (to pull up). For some reason, the breaks just wouldn't engage and I was literally standing on the pedal. Anyhow, I ended up crashing into an F150, I won't go into detail (I'm trying to spare some of my dignity).
Point is, is that when my Jeep was being backed out and away somewhat from the scene, the breaks were cool. One thing I noticed was that my Jeep was on High Idle. ( I never noticed a switch?)
I was wondering if the high idle could have been the cause of my temporary break failure? Maybe it's just because my YJ is an '88?

Fact is, is that I need to repair a shitload of things now, but whatever. I'm just wondering why the hell that even happened. :(

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak on the booster which temporarily created the hard pedal and high idle on ur breaks?

·
Registered
375 Posts
i dont know, it happened to me once, ended up my drums were fubared, i lost pressure, pumped them to bring the pressure back, and then it lost pressure again next time i went to stop. thankfully they kept pressure before i had to go back on the road, but scary knowing you could be goin 55 down the road and your brakes wont work

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
I hope you left a "I'm sorry note" and denied the accident. Everyone needs to give themselves a brake once in awhile :d:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the guy came running out of the house and freaked out on me... I guess I'm a bad driver because I'm a chick, AND it obviously was my fault. But seriously, it was scary and I'm glad I wasn't on a a main road...

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak on the booster which temporarily created the hard pedal and high idle on ur breaks?
I had this issue on my my 94 XJ,.........I switched out the booster, and hose, but I think just the hose & grommet were the main issue.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Did your Jeep win or did the F150 get the better of it?

·
Lego Dude
1,655 Posts
I had that happen to me once in a friends truck :(

Why on earth would they design it to idle high if the brake vacuum line falls off :( That was an interesting time since I was going 50 when it happened

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Are you asking why an engine's idle speed will change if it has a vacuum leak?:confused:
Skyypunk, me thinks that you needs to read up on internal combustion engine basics :miff:

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
Actually the guy came running out of the house and freaked out on me... I guess I'm a bad driver because I'm a chick, AND it obviously was my fault. But seriously, it was scary and I'm glad I wasn't on a a main road...
I'm gonna have to be the first to say WPWP of both vehicle and driver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts