Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is time to get tires for my yj and I have been shopping around. I have american outlaw 1 rims (15x8) on my jeep. but i have to ask what the freak is up with tire size. I am putting 30's on it but my question is do i get 30x9.5x15? i guess the real question is what size rim does a 9.5 tire fit on because all the rims i have found are either 8 or 10 wide so i dont get where the 9.5 fits in to the picture. if someone or someones could explain this i would be very greatful.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
dont worry about the rim width, it doesn't have to match the tire width.

You are safe to go about as wide as a 12.5 in tire, but dont get anything narrower than the rim width.

Also, get bigger tires. You know you want to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like to go bigger but i am pinched for money.....(second child coming in july) so my budget is limited. I got a daystar 1 1/4 shackle lift so i figure that 30 is about as big as i can get since the yj is the "low rider model" for jeep.

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
you want the tire wider than the rim. im near rochester, if you need a hand pm me and ill help you out. also if your ordering tires you should go to the firestone place downtown next to knapp's donut's, they'll give you a good deal

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hate to bump an old thread, but this is what my search brought up and it's close to a question I have. What's the narrowest rim anybody would suggest mounting a 33x12.50 on?? The rims I have are either 7 or 8" wide, not sure, but if it turns out they are 7's, will I be OK putting 12.50's on them?? Thanks.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,130 Posts
The tire will be fine on a 7" rim, i ran 35x12.50's on a 7" Grand waggy rim without issue. Just make sure the rubber will clear you springs and shocks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
7" rim the most that I would put on would be 10.5" wide tires unless you are going just off road only but road and off 10.5's to keep the wear some where right.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,130 Posts
Depends on what pressure you run.

I ran BFG Mud terrains 35x12.50's on a 15x7 wheel on a grand wagoneer for 4 years as a DD, racked up 55,000 miles and had NO wear issues.

I think i ran them at around 28psi perfect contact patch and handling

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The tire will be fine on a 7" rim, i ran 35x12.50's on a 7" Grand waggy rim without issue. Just make sure the rubber will clear you springs and shocks.
12.5" tires will be fine on a 7" rim. 8" is ideal.

Make sure you are measuring bead-to-bead, not edge-to-edge.
Thanks for the info guys, I'm only going to be running them on a narrow rim until I find something wider. Not sure if they are 7" or 8" wide since there's tires on them now and I'm just eyeballing the bead with a tape measure, but they are custom with a bit of an offset so I don't think rubbing on the inside will be an issue.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'm only going to be running them on a narrow rim until I find something wider. Not sure if they are 7" or 8" wide since there's tires on them now and I'm just eyeballing the bead with a tape measure, but they are custom with a bit of an offset so I don't think rubbing on the inside will be an issue.
you have 8" rims now, and what did i tell you in the parking lot :poke::poke:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts