Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
hyd assist or full hydro

what front axle?

what steering setup (stock knuckles, high steer, etc)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hyd assist or full hydro

what front axle?

what steering setup (stock knuckles, high steer, etc)
thinking full hydro with high steer, right now I have a dana 30 but will be converting to a Dana 44 from a 3/4 ton F250.

·
5,820 Posts
is there a reason you need full hydro? i would go assist unless you absolutely can not make it work.

you need an orbital valve, a ram... single or double ended is your choice, and steering lines. the orbital valve gets connected to the wheel and the rest is hooking up lines. call POS PSC or Howe or someone like that and they will get you set up with everything you need.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there a reason you need full hydro? i would go assist unless you absolutely can not make it work.

you need an orbital valve, a ram... single or double ended is your choice, and steering lines. the orbital valve gets connected to the wheel and the rest is hooking up lines. call POS PSC or Howe or someone like that and they will get you set up with everything you need.
Thanks for the help:beer:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why. :confused: :confused:

what size tires do you have to justify full hydro steering if you are currently running a dana 30.
37's right now, but once the 3/4 ton running gear go under it; then 40-42's. As I was saying, I was looking for help in an area I know just enough to get into trouble with. The assist sounds good to me; now I have a place to start.

·
5,820 Posts
37's right now, but once the 3/4 ton running gear go under it; then 40-42's. As I was saying, I was looking for help in an area I know just enough to get into trouble with. The assist sounds good to me; now I have a place to start.
until you run into packaging constraints stick with the assist. spend the $200 it costs for a ported box from psc and buy a rock logic 1.5"x8" assist ram. for less than $500 you can have awesome steering that has virtually no lag and can turn 37" tires with zero effort.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
until you run into packaging constraints stick with the assist. spend the $200 it costs for a ported box from psc and buy a rock logic 1.5"x8" assist ram. for less than $500 you can have awesome steering that has virtually no lag and can turn 37" tires with zero effort.
West Texas Offroad also sell the "******* ram" kit. I ran it on the CJ8 and loved it.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Or just go to surplus center and gte the parts you need and tap the box yoruself.

I've got $130 into my toyota's setup (sadly, bryce hasn't installed it for me yet :poke:)

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Of course, if you are planning 40-42s on a dana 44, and in situations that actually require a ran, well then... ugh, i don't feel like finishing this train of thought...

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Of course, if you are planning 40-42s on a dana 44, and in situations that actually require a ran, well then... ugh, i don't feel like finishing this train of thought...
I wasn't even going to start it

·
5,820 Posts
Or just go to surplus center and gte the parts you need and tap the box yoruself.

I've got $130 into my toyota's setup (sadly, bryce hasn't installed it for me yet :poke:)
for the $200 it costs for the rock logic kit i dont think you could get the parts for that price. it comes with the ram, lines, heims, bolts, tabs and fittings.

as for the box, I tapped the box myself. I also almost rolled my truck driving at high speeds on the roads in canada. the box doesnt allow enough flow to correct the wheel fast enough to steer out of a drift. PSC drills the box in a different location, welds a new boss on and ports out the inner passages so the steering is as fast as it was before the ram assist.

when you turn the wheel really quickly as if you were swerving from something in the road does it feel like the wheel won't turn at times? turning it slow is fine but a quick snap?

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
for the $200 it costs for the rock logic kit i dont think you could get the parts for that price. it comes with the ram, lines, heims, bolts, tabs and fittings.

as for the box, I tapped the box myself. I also almost rolled my truck driving at high speeds on the roads in canada. the box doesnt allow enough flow to correct the wheel fast enough to steer out of a drift. PSC drills the box in a different location, welds a new boss on and ports out the inner passages so the steering is as fast as it was before the ram assist.

when you turn the wheel really quickly as if you were swerving from something in the road does it feel like the wheel won't turn at times? turning it slow is fine but a quick snap?
x2, especially since all the parts are correct the first time and you don't have to figure it out yourself with surplus parts.

I know nothing about tapping a steering box because i have never don't it before.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if its a trail rig i'd lean toward full hydro. Esp if you are looking to upgrade your drivetrain later on...no point in doing things 2x. mines a single sided cyl tied into my tie rod. I was thinking 2x ended cyl but i like the idea of having my tires pointing in the same direction if something fails. my first trip with the new set up was this weekend and it worked flawlessly (previously had assist). future plans for me are coilovers and tires past the front frame so assist was no longer an option...

as for 42's and a D44...thats a whole other discussion

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts

Well, my stuff is toyota, so dunno how it compares to saginaw boxes. The toy pump is a little slow, from what I hear. Remember, I'm busy, I need you to come install my setup, after you finish welding my wheels:poke:

The toy setup, people worked it out, so there's a part number list already from surplus center. 6" ram(8" is too long for the toy steering arms/knuckles), fittings, hoses(I got a 3rd hose as a spare), plugs(in case I need to plug the box for a trail fix), it was I think $130 shipped. I need to make a collar for the tie rod, and some tabs, both are just scrap in the garage. My axlue housing is made from flat plate steel, so its easy to attach tabs to.

I'm going to drill out the restrictor on the steering pump to what everyone does to get the flow rate up a little, but I might eventually move to a higher flow rate pump.

Again, not sure how the toy stuff compares with dana/saginaw stuff. Lcukily for the toy stuff, its been boiled down to a science, and there are great writeups.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts