Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rheem Classic 90 + (no idea on age) was working the past few weeks then stopped. I think I narrowed it down to the Direct Spark Igniter but I want to make sure.

The furnace never lights, but clicks like it is going to. I couldn't see a spark at the DSI so I pulled it out and then turned the furnace on and expected it to spark between the two prongs but instead, if i turned off the lights in the furnace room I could see the wire glowing. I assume this isn't right but I wasn't sure if the DSI would act differently if it were screwed into place and maybe it being grounded played a role.

I also cleaned out the pilot gas hole and there was some 1/4" hole leading to the burners and i opened that and could smell gas so I don't think it's a gas valve.

Before I order one I wanted to double check.

Pretty sure this is the DSI I need
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...m igniter&qid=1446170879&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Thanks

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Shawn, I don't think I have a hot surface ignitor. In the link in my original post is the type of ignitor I have.

I did clean the contacts and try that but it didn't work. I don't have a long match stick to try and light manually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It clicks a bunch of times when it tries to start even when it was working it clicked a bunch of times

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
So you hear it sparking but not lighting? Is it lighting a pilot at all? Does your igniter also act as the flame sensor?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear it clicking but it never lights the pilot. If I shut all the lights off in the room and take the ignitor out, I see the wire light up but not the probes. I think there is a separate flame sensor which I have cleaned already

·
Registered
665 Posts
you said you cleaned the pilot? did you remove the orifice? the hole is pinhole size, should be able to see light through it. if its clean, your pilot valve in your gas valve may not be opening. try to light pilot with long match or lighter like previously mentioned. if it lights, you may have a weak spark or no spark from your ignition control. electrodes could also be worn, pilot hood rusty or dirty. hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts