Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here have any experience with the HUMVEEs? I have a guy interested in trading me an 86 HUMVEE for my Scrambler. I'm thinking its a pretty good deal since its worth more, but what kind of reliability issues do these have? Also, what should I look for? He sent me some pictures and its not rusted out, in fact it has no rust.

Very spartan inside though.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
i'd personally keep the Scrambler, because its cooler and not as douchebaggery.

but i really know very little about Humvee's

·
There watching me! (.)(.)
11,461 Posts
Fuel hog, No heater in the winter or very little heat, To do a brake job is a long job and costy too! Keep the jeep, why do you think he want to trade!:tonka:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Calling the 6.2 a turd is too much of a compliment.
I've been told that replacing the ball joints on the HUMVEE is a major PITA.

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I would have thought that everyone would have told me to trade. The HUMVEE is without a doubt worth more, but this one does need some work. It might be more than I want to take on though.

I'm looking for something a little more "daily driver" for the winters here. I would obviously change the interior on it.

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are pics of the HUMVEE (he sent me about 50 pics overall)

And here are pics of the Scrambler:

There is no question that the HUMVEE is a project. I am still trying to get more info from the guy, just wanted to see what the concensus is on these vehicles.

·
SlowBalt SS
2,493 Posts
I don't know after seeing the pictures id stay with your scrambler..

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
I've driven plenty of HMV's in the Air Force, just like that one, and they were pieces of shit. I will never forget driving through the rain, we may as well should have taken the top off, I was soaking wet!

·
Chris Kangas 5/4/02
247 Posts
I don't want to down the hummer1 because it has some pretty cool crap (cround clearence, propshaft set up, towing/ load cap.) but that one your looking at is missing one of the better mods (fording/fjording? kit, run flat system) and as everyone else has said the 6.2 is crap (for performance). I can't count the number of these I have worked on in the Marines, but when I was stationed at MCLB Barstow we drove Jeeps instead of the hummer1. Do you have any history on this thing? Was it from a salt water duty area (if so, every damn bolt on this thing is frozen). My understanding is that the civy models are worth more than the mils, and to convert a mil is some $$$. Keep the egg beater, my $.02.

PS- Take it for a drive and let me know what you think when the fan relay kicks in and you drop to 35mph (yeh thats real cool).

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
Keep the Scrambler, this is coming from a guy who worked on Hmmwv for 7 years. Your scrambler is lighter, faster, and alot better on the off road then the Hmmwv. Ball Joints are not that hard to replace, brakes if you are experinced can be done in about 2 hours for all four. Yes the 6.2L diesel sucks. If I got it I would find a big block chevy engine to replace the dog of a diesel. It has a 400 turbo tranny, and a NP218 transfercase. Gear ratio last I remember should be around 4.10:1. It is a heavy off road truck. That can barely get out of its own way. It has worm gear hubs, all time 4wheeldrive. It may look cool but that is about it. It is wider and has a longer wheelbase then your scrambler. Over all you could sell your Scrambler for more then the Hmmwv. If you have any questions you can ask I will tell you how it is.

Although I can replace the 6.2L for a 6.2L in about 5 hours. I can replace your tranny in 3 hours, transfer case in about 2 1/2 hours. I can turn up the injection pump and get you a little more hp.

·
Chris Kangas 5/4/02
247 Posts
Although I can replace the 6.2L for a 6.2L in about 5 hours. I can replace your tranny in 3 hours, transfer case in about 2 1/2 hours. I can turn up the injection pump and get you a little more hp.

Your slow! We (3rd MTBN-MTMCO) could drop and replace the tranny/x-fer case in 20 minutes. The engine took alot longer (1/4 of under the windsheild, needed lift/ crane). :usa:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts