Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to set up a truck for mainly hauling firewood. We live within the boundries of the Manistee national forest and will be wood cutting year around on the Federal Forest roads and seasonal roads. It will be driven here and there and plan on a plow to get to the woods in the winter. What lift, gearing, tires, etc would you use? (oh, this was brought on when I buried my 04 s10 4dr up to the frame and our XJ would not pull it out....2 hours of shoveling later..)

·
missmrgreenagain
21,342 Posts
Beer

·
Registered
476 Posts
Federal forest so if he follows the rules that wouldn't help much. It would get him down the two tracks with out plowing them so thats a plus.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Minimal lift with at least 35" tires. Don't want it 6' in the air if your are loading/unloading wood from it but still want good clearance of larger tires. Might consider a rear mounted winch and a rear locker. As for gears it depends on tire size, with 35's I'd say 4.56 or 4.88.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

·
Registered
231 Posts
Why not just get all the wood cut in the summer and fall and not worry about going into the woods in the winter? Then you wouldn't have to buy an upgraded truck and put more money into it. But if you are looking for something ford super duty with about a 4" lift and cutout fender flares an easily fit 42s...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few thoughts.....

I have been thinking older 86-89 Chevy 2500. I cut year around so doing it all in the summer is not an option...lol. Good ideas on keeping it a little low with fender cuts and less lift, thanks! Any input on good deep snow tires? Always been a BFG fan since I had my ZR2 years ago but willing to look at other ideas.:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Minimal lift with at least 35" tires. Don't want it 6' in the air if your are loading/unloading wood from it but still want good clearance of larger tires. Might consider a rear mounted winch and a rear locker. As for gears it depends on tire size, with 35's I'd say 4.56 or 4.88.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
Plus keeping it a little low will get me further in when there is snow drooping the trees a bit...

·
Supreme Chancelor!
2,303 Posts
Old stick shift Ford F-350 with creeper gear. Low lock is low enough. 35" tires and a flat bed so you can get two face cord on at a time.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
4wd although probably not needed, preferably 3/4 ton or better, $1000 or less, doesn't matter which brand. If you're trying to get firewood with anything else you're trying too hard.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If its just a wood truck that doesnt see the road I would find a 1 ton, cut the hell out of it and run tractor tires that are meant to sink. :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the thought crossed my mind

surprised it has not been said but why not get a deuce and a half
There was a deuce and a half for sale near here but I figured it is too wide and too tall for most forest trails/roads. I even thought about an old Jeep M715 1 1/2 ton but same thing...kinda big.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts