Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motorcraft ignition on my 4 cyl. CJ7 was acting up so I decided to replace it with a GM style HEI distributor. First you need to get an HEI distributor made for a Jeep 6 cyl. These run about $60 on eBay.

Next you would need to find an original 4 cyl. HEI dist. from a GM car, but that is pretty hard to find so you will need to get a distributor cap and pickup coil from rock auto or napa. I looked them up for a 79 monza with a 2.5 4 cyl.

Since a 4 cyl. HEI could not be found, you will need to get this part from an 8 cyl. HEI dist.

And then you need to make it look like this, note the teeth that were removed are very important.

So you put it all together and it will look like this, and it will no longer run like crap.:thumb:

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
cool deal

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,924 Posts
^^^^^ Since this was posted 11 years ago, there may be a slim chance for the OP to respond. You can do it that way also as long as you use the right distributer. This way looks cleaner and does not require you to have some sort of cap on the outside of the extra plug wire posts....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Sharp Machine, I am in possession of my daughter's '87 Comanche 2.5 TBI. However many previous owners have really messed up the wiring. Them some SOB I guess swiped parts out of it. So Assuming I can make an HEI distrib for it, is the TBI computer stuff going to be screwed up, or will the TBI run after HEI install? Anybody replaced the TBI with a carburetor? Anybody know the bolt pattern of the TBI unit, and if it's compatible with a Holley two barrel? So far I have the 6 cyl HEI distrib, I ordered the 4 cyl cap, coil cover and pig tail wires. So I need a GM V 8 donor HEI distrib. How do I get the reluctors swapped off the distrib shafts?
Gracias,
Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Stephen, I'm in the middle of it. I had a straight 6 HEI distr for jeep. I took rotor and stator out of a trashed Chev V8 HEI Distr. Ground off every other tooth of rotor star. Bought a HEI cap for a '84 Citation (4 cyl). Set the timing mark at TDC. you have 50/50 chance of getting it right, or you have to swap plug wires. I marked where ign rotor was lined up on the valve cover with masking tape. That's to line up your #1 post on distr cap. That part worked good. I THINK distr is OK. Distr does not talk to any computers. But I also think the vacuum port on the TBI is wrong for the distr.. All I could get was 0 degrees advance at start and idle at 10 degrees. Increasing RPM didn't get me more advance, only 10 degrees. This morning took TBI and EGR off. I bought some 1/4" aluminum stock to make an adapter for 32/36 mm carb. Carb hasn't arrived yet. Planning to tap 1/4" 20 in aluminum adapter to mount 2 barrel "Y" onto. Carb will go on top of "Y". I think I have another gas pedal and throttle cable (86 Olds) in my treasures. If I can, I'll make cable pull from firewall, and 2 barrels parallel crank. Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Stephen, I'm in the middle of it. I had a straight 6 HEI distr for jeep. I took rotor and stator out of a trashed Chev V8 HEI Distr. Ground off every other tooth of rotor star. Bought a HEI cap for a '84 Citation (4 cyl). Set the timing mark at TDC. you have 50/50 chance of getting it right, or you have to swap plug wires. I marked where ign rotor was lined up on the valve cover with masking tape. That's to line up your #1 post on distr cap. That part worked good. I THINK distr is OK. Distr does not talk to any computers. But I also think the vacuum port on the TBI is wrong for the distr.. All I could get was 0 degrees advance at start and idle at 10 degrees. Increasing RPM didn't get me more advance, only 10 degrees. This morning took TBI and EGR off. I bought some 1/4" aluminum stock to make an adapter for 32/36 mm carb. Carb hasn't arrived yet. Planning to tap 1/4" 20 in aluminum adapter to mount 2 barrel "Y" onto. Carb will go on top of "Y". I think I have another gas pedal and throttle cable (86 Olds) in my treasures. If I can, I'll make cable pull from firewall, and 2 barrels parallel crank. Tom
Hey is there any way that we can message each other or we can talk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, usually you're supposed to hook the vacuum advance directly to the carburetor. There is usually a port on it for the vacuum advance honestly, I thought it would be cool if we could talk on the phone and share ideas and get a bit more details

1 - 10 of 10 Posts