Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
got 5 inches on my 96 with no issues
It all depends on how it acts when you get it together. there will be answers like this, and people will say they had to do an sye at 3" b/c it vibrated so bad. But i had 5" with a 3" lift, spacers, and shackles and didnt have a problem with it, on an 86

·
Wheelin adict
101 Posts
I have 6.5 inches... and I just put a yj yoke on the front of the rear shaft as it was binding at full droop... I also am running a 4cyl 5 speed so my drivetrain is a lil shorter then a 6 cyl. no vibs.

·
For Sale: AMC 360ci v8
444 Posts
I'd go with as little lift as possible to maintain a semi-reasonable center of gravity (safety reasons abound), and trim the fenders to fit the tires you want.

I tried posting links but it doesn't like me posting about great lakes xj <all one word

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put 4 1/2 in on my cherokee and it vibrated pretty bad until I droped the crossmember and an inch and never had another problem. Mine was a 94 which all cherokees had the same suspention set up until 97

·
bread box jockey
39 Posts
I got 4 1/2" on my 93' transfer case drop and degree shims and never have a vibe or problem . I agree with the low center of gravity , I've seen 37's on a three inch lift !! Just cut the fenders , use some tj flares , they open the wells up a bunch ! Bump stop it properly too !

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
i thought all cherokees had the same suspesion set up.....
Well, they do but the earlier platforms seem less reactive to driveline angle changes. Seems like the consensus is up to and including 96 max out at 4.5" before mods, and for the years after that 3"... I did a t-case drop and am around 5" on a 2000. I don't think I will even try that without a SYE again. Mine has driven okay for 30k miles though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.