Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the $hit happening in this country with the Democrats and Liberals ripping our country apart how long will it be before they wanna make a stupid B.S law about banning modified or lifted vehicles? Lets be honest its only a matter a time before they will try to control what we drive and ban any ORV activities. I mean they are already trying to make all of our decisions for us this would just be one more thing that they will control if the LEFT wins.

Anyone else ever worry about this? Or am i just paranoid?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,439 Posts
I would say this is probably one of the least worrisome things that the fruits would do. It's a state issue, and so far, Michigan has been opening more ORV areas and making ORVing better, on the whole.

As of the end of this month, ORVs will become able to be registered and title for on-road use again, and as of January 1; over 3,000 more miles of trails have been opened up for ORV use. I think that is one of the few things that Michigan legislature has realized brings in a lot of money for the different counties.

·
getting dirty
971 Posts
I would say this is probably one of the least worrisome things that the fruits would do. It's a state issue, and so far, Michigan has been opening more ORV areas and making ORVing better, on the whole.

As of the end of this month, ORVs will become able to be registered and title for on-road use again, and as of January 1; over 3,000 more miles of trails have been opened up for ORV use. I think that is one of the few things that Michigan legislature has realized brings in a lot of money for the different counties.
Where are these 3000 miles of trails opened up for FULL size vehicle use. There is a statement post by the DNR going viral on Facebook right now about enforcing forest road and trail closures around Camp Grayling.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts
Don't kid yourself, there are just as many conservatives that want to tell us what we can or can't do on public lands.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
This is a great topic.
We have lost so much access to public lands in the last thirty years.

This is what you are up against.

https://www.stopthrillcraft.org/kind.htm

Long Term Strategies: Ban Thrillcraft

The only realistic long term strategy is to work towards a total ban on Thrillcraft. Use of land based machines like dirt bikes, four wheelers, swamp buggies, dune buggies, and the like should be banned from all public lands, except perhaps for use on existing roads open and available for regular highway vehicle traffic. Only these roads are engineered to avoid most (but not all) of the damage from thrillcraft. Of course, there would still be the pollution, noise, and general human intrusion factors that occur whenever thrillcraft are used. However, limiting thrillcraft to regular roads would go a long ways towards reducing their overall impact on the land and people.

Other thrillcraft like jet skis should be banned from public waterways. They are a nuisance and irritation to other water users, not to mention their dismal safety record and significant contribution to water pollution. They have no place on public waters.

Snowmobiles should likewise be restricted to existing road systems, though this would still leave us with the flush of pollutants when snows melt in the spring, as well as noise. They are inappropriate on national park lands, and other specially designated nationally significant lands such as national monuments.

Can we achieve a ban on Thrillcraft? Most emphatically yes! Smoking was once considered so widespread that banning cigarettes was considered impossible. But today most public places are free of smoke. In the long term this is the only strategy that makes any sense. Thrillcraft do not have a right to pollution, disturb, terrorize, vandalize, and otherwise degrade our public lands.

It’s time to put a halt to this menace!.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,002 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
There is a lot going on behind the scenes right now regarding full size access, permits, etc. The rules are changing, some for the better, some for the worse and it's too early to see how things will shape out.

As an FYI, there is an action right now to close all shared trails on Drummond Island during the winter months to everything except snowmobiles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts