Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the animal control guy (Sheriff's dept) stopped by my house and said there's a coyote with mange really bad (no hair at all, looks like a damn chihuahua) in my area, and as I'm talking to him it walked out on the road. It ran into the woods as he drove up and he was looking for it and carrying his 12 gauge, but he never did find it. This morning my mom called and said the sheriff gave permission to the people in my neighborhood to shoot it (really spread out).

So, do I use my 30-06, or do I see what my .17 HMR can do? I don't wanna gave to get close enough for a shotgun. I'm thinking .17, I've always wondered if it'll kill a coyote :woot:

·
Speed Limit -186,000 fps
1,540 Posts
I don't know how the rules are for small game, but I know for deer hunting you cannot use a rifle south of M-46....... so depending where you are..... In my area I'd have to use my guage!

In Midland County when I worked on the farm we used the .270 to pluck Coyotes!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything is fair game up here, I'm up in the U.P.

Just did some reading online, looks like a .17 HMR is boarderline powerful enough, it'll do the job on a good shot, but it has to be a good one.

I think I'll just blow his head off with my 30-06.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
too bad you're not closer I have some 30.06 180 gr soft point on a compressed load I made for a buddy and were wicked at the range. he said they've worked great on all his deer too. I am partial to the 06 tho.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
I have used a .22LR for coyotes, and know people here that use the .17 variants with good results. Now I have "something different", thanks to Renegade II, I will post the results this winter. :naughty:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts