Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I can levitate!
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, since it looks like everyone is in the same home upgrade mode as I am. I just bought a place and it needs (needed) upgrading everywhere. I am getting close to getting her back together and am thinking about Home Automation. Not sure where to start, but these are what I am thinking I will do:

Thermostat
Remote light control
Remote ceiling fan control
Remote door locks and garage opener
Remote view security cameras

I am not sure where to start. Any recommendations on systems, brands, other automations???

·
I can levitate!
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was wondering, cant this all be done with out some monthly service? I am not looking for the police to come when the alarm goes off, but I do want a record of who I will need to shoot after they rob me.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
That is what I was wondering, cant this all be done with out some monthly service? I am not looking for the police to come when the alarm goes off, but I do want a record of who I will need to shoot after they rob me.
My buddy uses a Foscam I think it is to make sure his ex-wife doesn't try to steal stuff off the property when he is gone. It sends him pictures via email I think.

Samsung makes a camera that works with Google Drive and I have been looking at that route for my next few camera's.

I would love to be able to do lights as well, but two are the only ones I think it would work well with. I don't want to be opening an app to use my lights every time.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Homeseer with zwave devices. I have been running these for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,461 Posts
ThermostatProgrammable
Remote light controlSolar with motion sensorswith remote switch
Remote ceiling fan controlMoton sensor switch with remote switch
Remote door locks and garage openerSeparate
Remote view security camerasMotion sensor on digital loop

Have a programmable timer that runs multiple switches to control things that will cover everything except entry and exit. The high dollar ones can be controlled via net.

I am not a fan of handing entry of my home/car/bank account over to something that could easily be hacked.

·
I can levitate!
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not a fan of handing entry of my home/car/bank account over to something that could easily be hacked.
Do you think that your front door can not be picked, broken, or a window broken for easy entry? I will take a digital lock any day, at least it takes some intelligence to hack it. I doubt a computer hacker is going to want to rob my house anyway.

I need to read thru some of these links that have been posted.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
I changed the lights in my closet, I used to have to spin the bulb in and out of the socket, but I have since replaced them with a pull cord. It's fancy.

·
I can levitate!
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I changed the lights in my closet, I used to have to spin the bulb in and out of the socket, but I have since replaced them with a pull cord. It's fancy.
If you tie that string to the closet door so it turns its self on, that would be home automation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts