Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the power jack on my gateway laptop (mx6440) is toasted. I'm fairly sure it's soldered to the motherboard, and has come loose from where it is.

My dad's a retired IT guy from Bell-Ameritech-SBC-ATT or whatever it was. He still does IT work on the side. He said he'll never touch a laptop again, and advised me not to do it. One of his buddies does corporate laptop repair and can probably fix it for me. So far, I'm planning to head up to the east side this weekend to drop it off.

I really hate having other people do stuff for me, cuz then I don't get the satisfaction of fixing it myself. I know there's some proprietary screws and such in there, and I do have a decent proprietary set that I picked up awhile back. I'm just afraid of shit that's not supposed to come apart, glued together, etc. Or the worst case, not going back together and I ruin it.

Should I just leave well enough alone, and have somebody else do it?

·
Master Cocksman
8,820 Posts
I got a quite to do the same thing on my vio... I just bought another laptop.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
It's a relatively easy fix and it's very common among laptops. If you fawk up though you're damn near screwed depending on the model.

Personally I'd let someone with decent experience do it, if not taking it to a shop.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
I've done it to 3 different laptops without issue.

While it's all apart it's a good time to clean all the dust out of it too.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
I have had pieces of two dozen laptops scattered around on my desk over the years... haven't killed one yet. Use a low power iron, and don't go nuts with the heat, you will be fine.

There are plenty of tips online for soldering on a board with sensitive parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts