Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is optical input really that much better?

i have a decent yamaha reciever and sony speakers (circa 2003). I run RCA L/R inputs for the DVD and dig. coax for 'cd' input. only alternative for DVD is otical. my surround sound sucks!! is better if i fun it through 'cd' function, but no presets for surround, mostly for music stuff.

do ya'll think running optical into my DVD selector on the reciever will let me utilize my prologic/DTS settings better? right now i get very little out of my rears, or even decent L/R for that matter. right now i have my rears set at +10 and my front surrounds to +5 with my center channel at -2 gain. Only way to get decent surround.

hlep if ya can

·
Pres MI Dodgetruckworld
1,908 Posts
I've run digital coax instead of the fiber optic, heard it was better, never compared it though.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Optical is going to be much better than the RCA inputs L/R. It will also talk to the receiver to give it settings about the movie/whatever ur outputting etc. For example, if ur watching a movie that is in Pro Logic, it will automatically switch the receiver to Pro Logic Mode, well on all the ones ive seen anyways.

·
Original Gangster
2,037 Posts
optical is better. But to notice the difference really depends on the quality of your setup. I had a crappy Pioneer before that made NO difference at all. Now I have a $1200.00 Denon that is amazing, and makes different connectivity very obvious.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
optical is better. But to notice the difference really depends on the quality of your setup. I had a crappy Pioneer before that made NO difference at all. Now I have a $1200.00 Denon that is amazing, and makes different connectivity very obvious.
Even on a crappy system you should notice a difference. One main difference is that with RCA you will only get stereo or 2 channel Pro Logic, there will not be 5.1 or rear sound. If you use the digital coax RCA port, this will allow 5.1 and all that good stuff, which you will probably not notice a difference between a decent cable for digital coax, and fiber.

The above probably explains why you have no sound on the rears, its mainly due to the fact that there is no rear information being sent to the receiver. I missed that part in your first post.

42,949 Posts
optical?

only way to hear PCM 5.1 + is hdmi

hdmi allows uncompressed PCM to flow...

Anyways, your question leads to more questions.

Have you adjusted your speaker output levels via the receiver?
Are you getting real surround sound out of your rears as it sits?

digital coax and optical will yield the exact same results.

ANYTHING over your old school rca's will sound better, but probably not much.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
I wasn't really talking about uncompressed audio more the dolby digital 5.1. I think the optical will carry 6 channels vs the 8 with hdmi. He was just talking about prologic and dts so i figured that uncompressed audio wasn't really an issue. I don't think they use pcm on standard dvd's, do they?

·
Now pedals a bicycle
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
optical?

only way to hear PCM 5.1 + is hdmi

hdmi allows uncompressed PCM to flow...

Anyways, your question leads to more questions.

Have you adjusted your speaker output levels via the receiver?
yes, as they are in post #1
Are you getting real surround sound out of your rears as it sits?
i would have to say no. it's pretty crappy, not quite as bad as straight 6 channel sound, but pretty crappy surround

digital coax and optical will yield the exact same results.
cannot hook up digital coax to my 'dvd' inputs
ANYTHING over your old school rca's will sound better, but probably not much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts