Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you all found? I am trying to see if there will be any coilover deals. Probably not though, since everything seems to be in short supply...

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,656 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know shit about them, but for $250 a pair they'd be worth a shot. Worst case scenario you can put in some cheap Profender (Threaded Body 2.0 Bumpstop-Threaded Body 2.0 Bumpstop) for the same price if they don't work out.
Ordered a set. Now I need some coilovers.... Found some fox emulsion, but just do not have a lot of knowledge on if I should worry about having remote reservoirs.... I want it to ride good, but am not looking to run laps around the sand box either...

·
Yooper In Training
7,616 Posts
Ordered a set. Now I need some coilovers.... Found some fox emulsion, but just do not have a lot of knowledge on if I should worry about having remote reservoirs.... I want it to ride good, but am not looking to run laps around the sand box either...
Keep in mind emulsion shocks will also run longer than a remote reservoir of the same travel, because the nitrogen chamber and dividing piston are packaged in the top of the shock body rather than in the reservoir. So remote reservoir not only gets you added fluid capacity and cooling, you can also fit more travel in the same package space.

Edit: Actually I got that completely wrong, an emulsion won't be longer because the oil and nitrogen are mixed, hence the term "emulsion". I was thinking of a monotube. So packaging space will be the same but the mixture will be even more prone to cavitation, heat, and fade.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
6,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ Thank you for your response. Good to hear your input. I wanna go remote, but the cheap side of me wants to go emulsion.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,767 Posts
Keep in mind emulsion shocks will also run longer than a remote reservoir of the same travel, because the nitrogen chamber and dividing piston are packaged in the top of the shock body rather than in the reservoir. So remote reservoir not only gets you added fluid capacity and cooling, you can also fit more travel in the same package space.

Edit: Actually I got that completely wrong, an emulsion won't be longer because the oil and nitrogen are mixed, hence the term "emulsion". I was thinking of a monotube. So packaging space will be the same but the mixture will be even more prone to cavitation, heat, and fade.
I thought back in the day that Swayaway had different lengths between remote and emulsion shocks. I recall a SAW 14" 2.5 coilover was much shorter than my Fox 2.5 air shocks. But looks like there is negligible difference between a Fox 2.5 coilover and fox 2.5 air shock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts