Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys buying your high volume thermostats for the older 460's? I'm having trouble finding them like the old Milodon's.

If i have to spend 30 more seconds trying to explain the difference between a high performance and a high volume thermostat to someone over the counter........I'm going to lose it.

Please people if you are going to sell parts for automobiles, take a mechanical class or at least a physics class.........

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,461 Posts
Somebody's been to a napa store. Try explaining a clamshell motor mount.

Automasters on division is good for hi performance parts.

·
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody's been to a napa store. Try explaining a clamshell motor mount.

Automasters on division is good for hi performance parts.
Yeah, I just tried them..........they tried to tell me the only difference was the spring.:fish:
I even tried "Lane" Automotive, but they flat out told me that they couldn't get that type of thermostat anymore.

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,044 Posts
I have been doing parts for over 10 years, 3 at a big box store, and 8 at a real old school parts store, and can say I have never been asked for a high volume thermostat.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
Good luck. Robert Shaw used to make all the hi flo thermostats and now Robert Shaw thermostats are just chinese junk like everything else.

·
Yeeeee Haaaaw!
6,801 Posts
Just drill some 1/8" holes around the perimeter but inside the seal surface.

But why? If you really want to keep it cool, just leave it out. And it will be fine for 20-30 minutes and then everything is going to settle in at 200 degrees and it won't matter anyways.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the coolant needs to stay in the radiator long enough for it to cool. That's probably why they eliminated the "high-flow" t-stats.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Look for a Motorcraft thermostat for an idi diesel providing they are the same dimensions. They are more open than any aftermarket I have seen.

On the "keep it in the radiator long enough" idea wouldn't that also keep it in the block longer and not moving the heat out of the block if you were to restrict the flow? To mee it seems that if you wanted it to cool longer you would need a physically larger radiator.

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,461 Posts
I am sure napa on Patterson has them sitting on a shelf. But, go in there with a part number. They have a huge inventory more than there front desk computers will show. Sometimes it takes some digging or using diffrent model to find the part.

·
15,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did order one from Summit, I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts