Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking about this.....

Why is it that we are tip-toeing around, wheeling responsibly, doing trail clean ups, and everything we can to give sport a better enviromentally freindly name.

But.....

Nobody seems to be getting mad about the new strip malls the new subdivision,the new condo complex. These places are destroying way more wilderness than we could ever dream of doing.

I get mad everytime I drive through my old neighborhood and show my kids where the woods "used to be"..... I had good memories of building tree forts, bmx'ing, riding dirt bikes, rope swings and all that stuff that made being a kid fun.

Unfortunatley my "old playground" is now covered with condos,and apartments.... It is a shame the next generation of kids can't enjoy the same things I did growing up.

What are your thoughts on the urban sprawl?

·
Your Message Here
5,857 Posts
Urban sprawl is the devil - look at Detroit.

We keep going outward, and leave a hollow core behind.

However, golf courses are a much bigger environmental threat. They may look green, but the impact of the land clearing / recountouring / non-native plant introduction / massive chemical use is tremendous.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I totally understand what you are talking about. I grew up in waterford right behind the summit place mall. And they took out probably 30 acres of "woods" that I grew up in and turned it into some of the worst retail space around. Some of it has never been leased out in the 20 years since it was built.

·
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
8,054 Posts
yeah it sucks, but what can we do that wouldn't piss off you non- tree huggers? if you set that land aside and didn't allow any businesses to build on it, you're standing in the way of free enterprise and business. it's a catch 22, you're bitching about it now as a wheeler/conservationist, but say the land was set aside you'd be complaining as a greedy republican...so...what do you do?

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
this subject bothers me too. I have seen tons of wooded area removed just to put up a walgreens or CVS shit by my house there are 3 CVS's all within less than 1 mile of me. I fail to see the point of this. I don't even go there cause their pharmacists are rude as fuck. then on ford road across from the police station the just put up a texas restaurant and tore down a bunch of woods to do so. WTF? less than 300 yards east is an abandoned lone star that has been vacant for years. it's already there, just revamp it and slap your sign on it. we have become so disposable with the building that if it sits, we just leave it and build something else. when I worked in detroit I used to take side streets and avoid the freeway traffic. on any given block there was maybe 2 or three houses that actually had people living there. the absolute worst is the people that rip down the woods and then bitch cause deer and wild animals are fucking up their property. where they gonna go? but we're the ones destroying nature. yeah right.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
It's because we don't generate large amounts of $$$ wheeling; you should see the damage the DNR lets timber companies get away with when they harvest trees up north.

Complete and total double standard.

·
Comanche Addict
731 Posts
I've got some guaranteed forest down by me. Maybe a square mile of trees in the middle of suburbia and we get deer and coyotes that move through it. I promise it'll still be undeveloped even a hundred years from now. It's a huge ex-chemical dump from 50+ years ago. My dad has some stories from back in the day before it was fenced off.
(P.S. don't hunt the deer and don't hug the trees.) :d:
--Pete

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
until i was about 10 or so, i lived in the country.

Just on the edge of town, behind my house was a field, roads we're dirt. it was classy. Neighbor's we're friendly.

about 11 years ago, they plowed the field in i used to ride my dirtbike in, wolverine world wide build a warehouse.... then, a housing devlopment went in next to it. then they paved the roads...

i now live in the city and hate it. bitchy neighbors moved in... just wasn't the same.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
where I grew up (cincinnati), we kids rode bikes through the woods all day, our parents let 'cause we were behaving and could be found. Now in my old neighborhood, if you want some trees on your property expect to pay an extra 10K for it; I.E. no free standing timber in 4 townships. That's why I now live up here, less people, less traffic nature at your back door(that's nature scOoter), and we wheel every weekend.

·
8,046 Posts
I've got some guaranteed forest down by me. Maybe a square mile of trees in the middle of suburbia and we get deer and coyotes that move through it. I promise it'll still be undeveloped even a hundred years from now. It's a huge ex-chemical dump from 50+ years ago. My dad has some stories from back in the day before it was fenced off.
(P.S. don't hunt the deer and don't hug the trees.) :d:
--Pete
We had a similar area where G.M. dumped their "stuff" on Linden rd. It was vacant for a long time and steamed a lot. No one thought that it would ever change. G.M. put a layer of clay on top and several vent pipes and now the A.Y.S.O. has soccer fields there. G.M. still goes there on a regular basis to get readings of lord knows what.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
i know what you mean with half the two tracks by my house that i used to go out with my dad on when i was a kid is know a golf course and sub division. where the lakes mall is in Muskegon that area used to be all woods and blueberry fields

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
I didnt read every post in this thread. Please forgive me if this has been mentioned.

What about the strip malls they build that never get filled. The ones that get used are bad enough, but some of them are always half empty.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Fenton Peeps remember Peabody's? Of course that wasn't legal wheeling but a hugh loss of wild land.
dang i used to play soccer there.

·
81 inches of fun
14,297 Posts
What was peabody's?
Depending on your age you wouldn't know about it anymore... It was an old closed gravel pit off Fenton rd. Used to be really good wheeling and partying back there for many years. Then it was purchased and turned into urban sprawl around 7 years ago or so.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Depending on your age you wouldn't know about it anymore... It was an old closed gravel pit off Fenton rd. Used to be really good wheeling and partying back there for many years. Then it was purchased and turned into urban sprawl around 7 years ago or so.

Oh. I moved to Fenton a couple years ago. I never heard of it. I thought it might have been a part of the gravel pit south of town.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.