Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Happy,happy,joy,joy
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pc keeps telling Me the c dive is running out of space . How do I make more space in the c drive?

I googled it but it said to do 100 different things and lots of saying everything they said to do was right and wrong to do. I have alot of music and some pics . I listen to most of the music .

Is there any way to keep My tunes and make more room?

I'm PC dumb so I need some help.:sonicjay:

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Ok... need a little more info.

I'm willing to bet you have one hard drive, and it has 2 partitions. Do you also have a drive labeled "D"? Generally, computer manufacturers put the Operating System and other important system files and backup files on the drive labeled "C", then all else goes on D.

Say you have a 100gb hard drive. Manufacturers will take 10gb of the total drive size, and allow it for system files and label it drive "C".

The other 90gb will be designated to drive "D" for all other files (personal files, music, videos, photos, etc. etc)

Sounds like you need to move personal files from C onto D. It's late, and I generally don't know what i'm talking about. So it's very likely you can forget anything I say to you.

Right click drive "C" and tell me what the size of it is, and lets go from there.

·
Happy,happy,joy,joy
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... need a little more info.

I'm willing to bet you have one hard drive, and it has 2 partitions. Do you also have a drive labeled "D"? Generally, computer manufacturers put the Operating System and other important system files and backup files on the drive labeled "C", then all else goes on D.

Say you have a 100gb hard drive. Manufacturers will take 10gb of the total drive size, and allow it for system files and label it drive "C".

The other 90 gbwill be designated to drive "D" for all other files (personal files, music, videos, photos, etc. etc)

Sounds like you need to move personal files from C onto D. It's late, and I generally don't know what i'm talking about. So it's very likely you can forget anything I say to you.

Right click drive "C" and tell me what the size of it is, and lets go from there.
It say it's 74.5 gb's total and I have 61.5 mb of room left . It's and older dell pc running windows XP. I did not see a d drive when I went into the drives.

·
Everyday I'm Shufflin'
1,712 Posts

·
Could've had a v8
516 Posts
74.5 GB is actually a very small drive nowadays. You could compress it but that wouldn't do much good really. I would honestly just buy another drive that you can afford (I recommend at least 120 GB) and then eater run the second drive as a slave drive and keep the one you have as a master OR what I would do is buy a new drive that I know will have plenty of room for everything and then some and just transfer everything from that drive over to the new one and reinstall XP on the new one. There are pros and cons. If you run both drives you have to hop between them but if you put everything on the new one you have to reinstall you OS and all other programs that you have installed plus back up everything like you bookmarks ect but in the end it will be much easier to use. I hoped I helped. I tend to make computer stuff sound more complicated than it is. Good luck.

·
Happy,happy,joy,joy
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah it's an old pc I've had along time but I have some other things going I want to get done before I cant put money into a new one . And I have alot of music on this thing to like 10,000 songs . Looks like I might have to get rid of some.

·
Happy,happy,joy,joy
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
74.5 GB is actually a very small drive nowadays. You could compress it but that wouldn't do much good really. I would honestly just buy another drive that you can afford (I recommend at least 120 GB) and then eater run the second drive as a slave drive and keep the one you have as a master OR what I would do is buy a new drive that I know will have plenty of room for everything and then some and just transfer everything from that drive over to the new one and reinstall XP on the new one. There are pros and cons. If you run both drives you have to hop between them but if you put everything on the new one you have to reinstall you OS and all other programs that you have installed plus back up everything like you bookmarks ect but in the end it will be much easier to use. I hoped I helped. I tend to make computer stuff sound more complicated than it is. Good luck.
Can I put any kind of drive or does it have to be a dell one?

·
Registered
645 Posts
You should be able to put any PC compatible hard drive onto your system.. you can get a good HD for under $100

·
Could've had a v8
516 Posts
x2 on the external drive. Now that I know that it's just mostly music taking up the space it's really as simple as just moving it to another drive. Just plug that sucker in and move all your music over to it. I was under the assumption that it was programs and other random things taking up the space but if it's just music make the external drive your "music drive" and you should be all set. :thumb:

·
Could've had a v8
516 Posts
You should be able to put any PC compatible hard drive onto your system.. you can get a good HD for under $100
Well almost but not really. If it's an older PC it's most likely an ATA drive that hes got so if he were to buy a SATA drive it woulden't work.

·
Web Wheeler :(
1,706 Posts
if you want simple and maybe a little help download ccleaner and run that it has cleared almost a gig off my computer before. and then defrag it (you go to system tools) it should free up a little bit more for you

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
Delete some shit.

Run the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool (somewhere in the start menu, maybe under accessories). The tool will do things like clear your internet cache, delete temporary program files, and search out larger files.

And buy another internal or external hard drive. But you definitely need to clean up some space, whether you move files, or just delete them.

·
Could've had a v8
516 Posts
Can't you buy an ATA-SATA adapter?
You can but I have never had much luck with them. I have gone trough 4 or 5 of em. They seem to be really buggy. They eater cause winders to not dect the drive or it just goes away randomly like if you were the unplug an external drive. I still think his best bet now knowing that it's all music that is taking up the space is to simply move it. Doesn't matter where, external drive, internal drive, whatever as long as it's off the 75 gig one. As far as disk cleanup goes I don't really see that doing much as that just get rid of the "junk" files and it sounds like it's not junk files that are the issue but rather a lot of audio files.

·
Happy,happy,joy,joy
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got 1.1 gb free so I'll just have to buy a hard drive soon. Thank guys.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
You can but I have never had much luck with them. I have gone trough 4 or 5 of em. They seem to be really buggy. They eater cause winders to not dect the drive or it just goes away randomly like if you were the unplug an external drive. I still think his best bet now knowing that it's all music that is taking up the space is to simply move it. Doesn't matter where, external drive, internal drive, whatever as long as it's off the 75 gig one. As far as disk cleanup goes I don't really see that doing much as that just get rid of the "junk" files and it sounds like it's not junk files that are the issue but rather a lot of audio files.
I'm not that up-to-date with computer stuff, I know my way around but either way. My personal suggestion to tag along with yours is to take that music, put it on an MP3 player and delete all of it from the PC. That's what I do and it saves me a lot of space. My MP3 player is as big as my laptop drive so I have plenty of room. Movies are the same way, burn them to DVD and delete them after.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i ran into the same problem with my old lap top. picked up a 1tb external hard drive to keep all my picture, video, music, crap on so all the c drive has is programs. i use the drive on my laptop and home entertainment pc now. works great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts