Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to get into photography and had a problem when taking some photos of a sunrise. I am hoping someone gave shed some light as to whats causing this. I am using a UV Filter and Hood on the Lens. I am getting a dot of light in the picture. In the picture I'm posting it is a little down and to the right of the sun. Any insight as to how I can fix the problem so it doesn't happen again would be greatly appreciated.

Sky Sun Sunset Sunrise Nature

Thanks in advance,
El

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Ghosts, caused by either your lens or filter, or both. Next time try a few shots with the filter on and a few with it off, see if there's any difference.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I would also say you picked up the reflection off the filter. Try not centering the sun in your shot. Use a "rule of thirds" when you frame up your shot by having 1/3 ground, 2/3 sky or vice-versa, whichever puts the sun someplace except the center of the frame. You can always crop the pic to get the view you want. Putting the sun to either side should also accomplish what you want.

42,949 Posts
100% from the filter. Not sure what filter you're using, but if its a cheap non-multicoat flat filter, it will do that. Look for a meniscus shaped multicoat which will totally remove reflectiosn or don't use one at all.

I went through this same issue. Started with a $5.99 "ebay" uv filter which was a big mistake. then switched to a multicoat sigma ex dg, then the problem almost went away, but I still catch some slight reflections when I have extremely dark areas mixed with extremely bright areas, just like you have in that photo above.

I've chose to just use my hood as protection, and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Your uv filter is multi purpose. It can protect your lens from scratches. Don't remove it! Try a polorizing filter. Get a circular one. You can put it on right over your UV filter. You'll be amazed at what it can do espeacially with any sort of nature pictures. Experiment with it. It can become a very important friend. I keep UV filters on all my lenes. It gets scratched somehow (and that can happen not matter how carefull) I throw it away and spend 15 to 20 bucks on a new one. Beats spending 125 t0 300 on a new lens........yes?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
What Camera and lens are you using? What mode are you shooting in, "P" for pro? What metering mode are you using?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts