Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slice of Starsage Anyone?
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether shutting down the computer from the start menu or from the control panel, my computer will just restart and not shut down.

I've run Norton win doctor and other stuff, but nothing will fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-Jim

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
throw it in the washer. and let it sit for a few hr's...then try...:thumb:

have u tried shutting it down threw task manager????

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alt+f4
or
c:/format
won't formatting it get rid of everything???

It came with windows so I don't have the discs to re-install everything.

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I had the same issue once. it was some nasty cookie thing that got in there and had it running. I had to strip out all the temp stored files before it would shut down. if you can try down loading www.ccleaner.com it takes out anything hiding in the background.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
you need to list what year make and model it is before anybody can give you info.

if you don't know that info, at least tell us what version of windows you have (win 3.1, win 95, win98, win NT, win millenium, win XP, win Vista,etc..etc..)

oh and if you wanna help yourself, go to google and type in "computer won't shut down".

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you need to list what year make and model it is before anybody can give you info.

if you don't know that info, at least tell us what version of windows you have (win 3.1, win 95, win98, win NT, win millenium, win XP, win Vista,etc..etc..)

oh and if you wanna help yourself, go to google and type in "computer won't shut down".
It's XP.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that.

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IF you HOLD the button on the front does it shut down? Sometimes if you just press it they only restart.

Buhleeeeeve me.

I held the dang button.

Also, ccleaner didn't do it (but thanks Yetti), and I'm not sure of how to restore to an earlier date...

·
Registered
847 Posts
restoring to an earlier date only really works if you have backups that you can go to a previous point. Last Known Good Configuration, which is in your boot menu when you press F8 before the windows XP logo comes up is only rarely useful when there's a hardware issue doing it.

If holding the power button on the system doesnt shut it down, I'd almost consider taking the bitch apart to see if there's a loose connection in there somewhere. Typically that's controlled through the board and wouldn't have any real bearing on the software that's running on the PC, so it technically should be shutting itself off through the power button.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
START--PROGRAMS--ACCESSORIES--SYSTEM TOOLS--SYSTEM RESTORE

then follow the instructions. usually the restore checkpoints are turned on and set themselves as the configuration changes. try taking it back about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

otherwise, do some searching on google. i did a quick search on "winxp won't shut down", and it came up with a ton of things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts