Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've been here just over a week now. Weather is great if you're into heat. Each day has been around 95, sometimes humid. It has rained 4 days in the last 8 days, heavy downpours followed by sun which means the grass is nice a green.

I still miss Michigan, but am sure I'll adjust.

On a side note I am considering one of two options in the next week:

1) buy a 1999-2002 Superduty diesel with 100+k miles so I can tow my CJ
or
2) sell the CJ and buy a new 4-door.

What do you think? They'd both end up costing me about the same per month.

Oh, and vehicles in MO need emissions and safety inspections, + there is a property tax anually on all vehicles, ATVs, trailer, boats, etc. Really sucks.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
keep the CJ

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure its got a 60/70 combo with 5.38s and a spool.

·
$9.00 vanilla malt
2,772 Posts
Stop in by Super Smokers and get some great ribs.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
keep the cj plated/insured, etc. as a Michigan vehicle.

don't you have a "summer cottage" in Michigan? :)

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure its got a 60/70 combo with 5.38s and a spool.
haha..not again!

Ehh..i dunno man, I havent seen your cj.but i vote to keep it and go for the superduty.

IF you do get the jk...be sure and lift it and put some tires on it right away. they still look goofy stock to me. I think its the flares that havent grown on me.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,939 Posts
Because I know you better than anybody that has replied in this thread, I say DUMP the CJ and get the 4 door KJ. That CJ has been nothing but junk ever since you chevyfied it.

·
I got a gold chain
16,447 Posts
Hi, I have comfy new seats in my jeep.:woot:

Glad you made in down there safe. Have you pee'd off the arch yet?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is the tax calculated?
3% of current value. They kinda go off blue-book values. So if you buy a $30K new vehicle the property tax will be $900 the first year, maybe $500 the second year, etc. That's in addition to the sales tax. Sales tax depend on your home address, not the sellers address and changes from city to city. I'm not very lucky b/c my city sales tax is 7.5%, whereas 2 miles away the sales tax is 5.25%. We can both go to the same dealer 5 miles away and buy the same car and I'll pay 2.25% higher in taxes. :confused:

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
that kinda suck on the Tax thing. I am afraid to ask what plates and inspections cost.

on a side note: you need to change your location under your name now.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Despite Shawn's lack in faith, I am going to put an offer on a 2002 F350 Diesel crew cab short bed on 33's tomorrow. Truck has 76,000 miles. Asking price is $22,500 but KBB says trade in is $19K and private party is $21,700. I will offer $21,000 and see if I walk away with a new truck.

We took a 4 door JK for a drive tonight. Was a fun ride, but way over priced at $27,000 for an X package 1/2 door and there is no EC available and despite the fact that every dealership here has at least 2 on their lot (this one had 10 on their lot) they said they won't go lower than sticker (not even close to invoice) because they are so "rare". They can kiss my arse.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Jeff, I didn't even see this thread until this morning. Hope everything went well with the move and your starting to settle into St. Louis. I think you are doing the right thing. Keep the CJ and buy a truck to pull it.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Keep the CJ.

If you want, I will even let you store it at my place in Michigan. I would even go as far as putting a plate on it for you. Then when you come visit your friends in MI, you can just pop in and get it.

One catch though, I get a key..............:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts