Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the bottom of the accel cap.
A three prong plug goes to where the arrow goes. c- ground b+
The ground is all arced out.

this is the jacked up plug from the bottom of the distributor

This is where the b+ and c- go to in that plug.

I've been diagnosing a shitty running jeep for 7 hours today, I ended up finding this ground wire still plugged into the cap in the three prong plug. It was just barely touching the block. While the jeep was running, it was arcing like hell to the block.

Now my question. Is the ground derived from the bottom of the cap, or can I run it to any chassis ground?

It looked like there was room for three wires into the distributor grommet, but when I took it all apart, I don't see where the ground should have went, this makes me think a chassis ground is fine.

This distributor is from an 88 vette 350/ TPI, with electronic advance.

Thanks

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
normally the module plug has the screw to ground through the distrib body, but if its missing then yes you can by pass the modual ground. but needs a ground to for the body of the module to.

·
14,442 Posts
you might try building a piggy back ground that goes from the old module point and then to the engine/chassie then it should remove all doubt about where your ground is.

·
14,442 Posts
the other thing I will mension, if you lost the coil body ground then the coil would seek alternet routes so check out the rotor on the back side to see if it has burn marks. it might have tryed to arc through the plastic rotor body to the center shaft looking for ground.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
normally the module plug has the screw to ground through the distrib body, but if its missing then yes you can by pass the modual ground. but needs a ground to for the body of the module to.
how does that module come out of there??

It says warranty void if module removed, and this thing was many hundreds of dollars.. I doubt its under warranty, but it might be.

I don't understand where this ground is coming from, or what its purpose is. How can the cap be grounded? Is this wire for the purpose of grounding the cap?

I'm lost, and I'm a master electrician. :sonicjay:

The distributor is grounded. Wouldn't the module be grounded to the distributor, or to the block?
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO GROUND? :sonicjay:

·
14,442 Posts
judging from the three wire plug its damaged, the center pole is the ground tap. it goes to the 3 wire harness to the module. its then plugged into the module and the module screws down, theres an extra screw to a tab that makes the ground to the inside of the distrib body. its then clamped with the dist hold down out side to make ground to the block.

repair the center wire and make sure its got ground to the block, just ohm from there to the block and it should be damn near zero.

·
14,442 Posts
by the way does that distrib have a 4 wire connector hanging out the side?

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
judging from the three wire plug its damaged, the center pole is the ground tap. it goes to the 3 wire harness to the module. its then plugged into the module and the module screws down, theres an extra screw to a tab that makes the ground to the inside of the distrib body. its then clamped with the dist hold down out side to make ground to the block.

repair the center wire and make sure its got ground to the block, just ohm from there to the block and it should be damn near zero.
Ok, so its taking the module ground which is derived from the block, and delivering it to the coil via the f'd up plug?

·
14,442 Posts
Just checking , it might also have a module ground, so make sure if it does that its working.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update for a future search.. BDR gave me a buzz and told me what to look for...

Found out that the coil was deriving ground through the tach (blew up the tach).

Took apart the coil, found some arc marks. Cleaned it all up. Rebuilt the three prong connector, and ran that to chassis ground (<.1ohm) and the thing appears to run great.

I will do some testing tomorrow, Can't test it in the echo chamber of my barn at 11pm because of the damn neighbors :sonicjay:

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
Make sure that ground strap isn't melted into the cap causing you to loose ground. When i was on my way back from TTC that happend to me. I had to run a ground wire from the battery to the ground terminal and connector. Just to get it to run correctly.

I blew apart one of my mufflers when it decide not to send spark and then when it decided to. It let a charge thru all that unburned fuel :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: BOOM!

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure that ground strap isn't melted into the cap causing you to loose ground. When i was on my way back from TTC that happend to me. I had to run a ground wire from the battery to the ground terminal and connector. Just to get it to run correctly.

I blew apart one of my mufflers when it decide not to send spark and then when it decided to. It let a charge thru all that unburned fuel :sonicjay: :sonicjay: :sonicjay: BOOM!

:sonicjay:

I ripped that thing apart, and cleaned it all up, and used some di-electric grease

Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts