Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously like a "first day on the net" question....

Headlights on my 2001 Chevy 2500 really suck. I have some upgraded bulbs, but the lenses are sorta hazy. Want to clean them up but not sure if the kits are worth wasting my time on. Anyone done it and did it last

·
Hang all the thieves
1,840 Posts
I've done it to a few cars in the past. It does make a difference. I haven't had to do it in a few years so I can't recommend one brand over the other, some actually go into fine grade wet sanding prior to polishing them, others just apply the media with a polishing ball or pad and buff off. (I used that type). It won't make them look like brand new (at least what I used didn't), but it does make a world of difference. Once I did start using them, it seemed like I needed to do it about once a year afterwards.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,250 Posts
I've done it to a few cars in the past. It does make a difference. I haven't had to do it in a few years so I can't recommend one brand over the other, some actually go into fine grade wet sanding prior to polishing them, others just apply the media with a polishing ball or pad and buff off. (I used that type). It won't make them look like brand new (at least what I used didn't), but it does make a world of difference. Once I did start using them, it seemed like I needed to do it about once a year afterwards.
I've never used them, so my .02 is worth less than .02; but from what i've seen is the same thing. It works but once you do it you have to keep using the polishing stuff every year or so. Those polishers don't come with a clear coat cover and when that wears off that's what breaks down the plastic to make it foggy and "yellowish", the UV and road splash.

I've seen a lot of people that just spray a normal clear coat on after but ti never turns out as strong as from the factory, so they end up buffing/sanding once a year. I'd just spend the $$ on new headlights and have it last another 10/15 years.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,250 Posts
We used to do this but found that it never lasted. 2001 headlight assembly is only $32. Go that route and you will be set for another 10 years.
$65 buck shipped for both headlights from Rock Auto. Just buy new ones

Reactions: COYOTE

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards new lens's to avoid the problem coming right back...

Anyone ever add some led pods or small light bar as supplemental lighting? Not like teenager stuff, some lights to make them better. Does not seem like these trucks ever had as good of lighting as ford or dodge trucks of the same timeframe.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,250 Posts
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards new lens's to avoid the problem coming right back...

Anyone ever add some led pods or small light bar as supplemental lighting? Not like teenager stuff, some lights to make them better. Does not seem like these trucks ever had as good of lighting as ford or dodge trucks of the same timeframe.
My '96 truck always had shitty lighting, I used to have lights on the grill guard on it just for supplemental lighting as well. It's pretty easy to add them in general and not have your truck look like a bro raided the LMC truck catalog.

See a lot of people that put some LED pots behind the grill, keep the smooth look and still get better lighting. I think 88-98 and 99-02 NBS and 2500s NBSs all had shitty factory lighting

·
Yooper In Training
7,571 Posts
I used the polish a bunch on my Subaru, it'd last maybe a month before needing it again. But it'd take like 4 minutes to do with the cheap kit so it wasn't bad. Not like new, but way better than doing nothing. If new lenses are cheap and you plan on keeping the truck around it's worth getting new housings since it's a one time deal.

Most of the little LED pods won't throw enough light to be worth it on a street vehicle, you need a whole lot of small LEDs or a few big LEDs in whatever housing style you go with. I had a small light bar on my RZR, was enough for playing in the twisty woods at night but wouldn't cut it doing 60mph down a back road in a truck. I've driven some AEV rigs with our 7000 series 7" lights and they're absolutely incredible, but way more than I'd ever personally pay for lighting. 7000 Series LED OffRoad Light Kit - American Expedition Vehicles - AEV

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could search for some lights to fit in the factory driving / fog light holes in the front bumper.

Or, do as recommended and mount some behind the grill. I did this on my '77 GMC, but the grill had big enough rectangles in it that I fit a set of fog lights as well as a set of 150W off-road lights right up tight to the grill, so that there was not much light loss/refraction from the grill slats.

I then wired the off-road lights to a switch, relay and the dimmer switch, so I could turn them on with the high beams and off when switching to low beams. I did this because at the time I had a 2nd shift job that I traveled back roads to get home at 2 AM. Lots of deer in the road at that time.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,693 Posts
Wow, that's some serious coin on lights from AEV.

I was watching a lighting review on youtube the other night. The were showing some side view mirrors with LED lights on them that were $600-800 as well as various $200-250 light bars. My wife had no comment on the light bars, but was shocked anybody would pay that much for side view mirrors with lights on them.

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
I use a polishing compound then coat them with Rejex. Rejex was designed for Lexan on aircraft. Lasts about a year depending on if the lenses have already started to spiderweb.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,250 Posts
I use a polishing compound then coat them with Rejex. Rejex was designed for Lexan on aircraft. Lasts about a year depending on if the lenses have already started to spiderweb.
Once a year seems like too often to me; though if a new headlight costs several hundred dollars just for one, maybe it's worth it. But in regards to the OP, $65ish shipped for both headlights seems like a no brainer

·
Hang all the thieves
1,840 Posts
I guess it would depend on the quality of the aftermarket light assembly. I've had some on cars before that scattered light everywhere, versus the more focused factory housings, and some that were better than factory. If you can find a good set cheap, no reason to mess around. Oh, that Rejex (wax/sealer/protectant?) is good shit too. I put 2 or 3 coats on my truck the first year I had it. Worked awesome.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I brought my truck up from Houston Texas, so it obviously has a ranch hand on it. lol Figured I would mount a lightbar behind the expanded metal and relay it into the headlight circuit.

My current lights suck so bad the the hi beams are nowhere near as bright as most peoples low beams. Pretty much dangerous....

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,250 Posts
I brought my truck up from Houston Texas, so it obviously has a ranch hand on it. lol Figured I would mount a lightbar behind the expanded metal and relay it into the headlight circuit.

My current lights suck so bad the the hi beams are nowhere near as bright as most peoples low beams. Pretty much dangerous....
I just swapped out headlights on my 96 for that reason. I honestly think the low beams were brighter than the high beams. Though that was also directly my fault because years ago I had bought fancy "chrome" headlights. So this time I got smart and put factory lights back in with better bulbs. I still need to put my driving lights back on the grill guard; just old school Hella halogens but they were super nice.

·
Yooper In Training
7,571 Posts
Wow, that's some serious coin on lights from AEV.
Yeah for sure. Having directly seen the amount of development, engineering, and validation testing they've gone through, plus having actually used them, I understand why. They're incredible lights and will outlast most vehicles. They also cost half as much as I paid for my stock quarter million mile TJ though, so the market is pretty damn thin for them.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,817 Posts
I just swapped out headlights on my 96 for that reason. I honestly think the low beams were brighter than the high beams. Though that was also directly my fault because years ago I had bought fancy "chrome" headlights. So this time I got smart and put factory lights back in with better bulbs. I still need to put my driving lights back on the grill guard; just old school Hella halogens but they were super nice.
My 05 dodge headlights are in the same boat. I put in aftermarket LED's in the housings but they're still pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts