Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Does this Pro Bono...
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have read everything I can over the last few weeks and have more or less just become confused. I have a '96 xj 2 door with a 5 speed. It currently has a 3" BDS on it which fits my 31" BF ATs perfectly, but I would like some 33 MTs. Now first of all this is mostly my dd, and I dont want to cut the crap out of my fenders. I was hoping I may be able to get a 1.5" spacer for the front and 2" shackle for the rear since it sits slightly lower right now. I will obviously grab new shocks and BL as needed, but needed to know if I could get by with just some adjustable lower control arms and trans drop kit. Any ideas would be great, as for now I am trying to do it on the cheap. I would hate to tear out all of this stuff just to buy a new 4.5" kit.

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Adjustable lower control arms will help with your front pinion angle and centering the wheel. Forget the trans drop kit and get a proper SYE and either another front driveshaft for the rear or a custom CV shaft. Keep your same springs and shackles and get the adjustable shackle mounts available on
naxja.org. It will get your close to 2" of lift and allow to set your shackle angle for a better ride.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have over 5 inches in the rear of my 92 with just a transfer case drop. No problems. If you are trying to do it on the cheap everything you were talking about will work with out a problem. If you have some money to spend it is better to do the SYE. But I am like you and have very little money to build with.

·
To Live is To Die
2,913 Posts
On my 95, I had a re4.5 w/ some extra spacers up front. I had 6* shims, YJ yoke and a rustys xfercase crossmember with a drop built in. 32's fit great, could have fit 33's I bet. no vibes ever.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
seeing it's a dd I would suggest a control arm drop and a 2 inch shackle ,spacer lift
I have a 96 xj with 5 inches of lift with a t-case drop and have no problems

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
if you are going on the cheap don't worry about an sye, the transfer case drop will suit you just fine, I am running an 8" lift with a transfer case drop and shackles in the rear with 2* shims and no problems, have yet to trash a u-joint and the only vibe I get is at around 25-35 mph, and I know what the cause of that is. anyway 4.5"-5.5" and a little fender trimming and 33's should fit fine for mild wheeling and DD duties:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts