Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I went to Harlan last weekend to do some wheeling and just plain get away from the day to day grind for a while. Place was pretty cool......not my favorite place i have ever wheeled but still cool.

my truck on "raillbed"......it was a level 4 trail and was about the limit of what I can do with IFS, 32's and a rear locker.......had it been dry it would have been easier but it was pretty slick the day we ran it due to heavy rain a couple days prior.

My friend on railbed......this squeez was a bitch with my longer wheelbase

more random pics

·
broken
5,093 Posts
:rock:

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where was this at?!?!?!
it was........um........In Harlan somewhere :sonicjay: :confused:

That was taken the first day we were there.........we spent a good share of the day driveing around lost and trying to figure out the map.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't see anything like that while I was there. Kewl shot for sure.

Since you have been I have a question.

was it just me or were the trail rateing's just kinda random??

we were on some "class 4's" that looked like dirt roads, then there was RailBed that was a 4 that was actually rocky and steep.......same way with the 3's.........some looked like my driveway and some were steep, loose and had some rock in them.

The other cool thing was we were bs'ing with a mineing employee that we ran into and he was telling us that his company was working with the Ky government to give them about 7200 more acres for the park......that is alot of new ground to explore!!!

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
There are a bunch of people that went down there this year. My buddy (Kaiser42) and several others seemed to have a good time. From what i hear it is alot closer than Tellico or even Winrock.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a bunch of people that went down there this year. My buddy (Kaiser42) and several others seemed to have a good time. From what i hear it is alot closer than Tellico or even Winrock.

I have never been to Winrock..........I was in tellico this spring and it was awsome........well worth the extra drive.

Harlan is fun.......no doubts........it was just kinda hard to tell what you were getting into or so it seemed.......I was told it is because the park is fairly new (I don't really know for sure) and that it is still in developement.

·
I think I can make it!!!!
2,315 Posts
I have never been to Winrock..........I was in tellico this spring and it was awsome........well worth the extra drive.

Harlan is fun.......no doubts........it was just kinda hard to tell what you were getting into or so it seemed.......I was told it is because the park is fairly new (I don't really know for sure) and that it is still in developement.

I like Harlan better. The reason tellico is so easy to get around is there is only a hand full of trails. Harlan is much better in my opinion but it does not have a good middle of the row trails yet. They are either mining roads or extreme.

Some of the reason for the trail rating issue is because when it is wet some of those trails that seemed easy are very dangerous. I have been on a easy hill there one day and go back the next day and have no control going down.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but it does not have a good middle of the row trails yet. They are either mining roads or extreme.

Some of the reason for the trail rating issue is because when it is wet some of those trails that seemed easy are very dangerous. I have been on a easy hill there one day and go back the next day and have no control going down.

I agree 100%

as far as the wet / dry thing.........it was pretty wet the first day we were there.....and you are correct........there were times when simple things got tricky (one guy in our group accidently slid into a wash out that led off the trail and down the side of a mountain) so i can see where they need to take that into consideration.

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
... it does not have a good middle of the row trails yet. They are either mining roads or extreme.

I agree with this statement completely. There doesn't seem to be a great middle of the row trails here. We did find a couple that were tough trail rides, some of the 15's and 26's, but had they been wet, they would have been way harder and for some of our group not passable. My guess though is that once you new the area, you'd know where others would be that would provide a challenge trail ride.

I had alot of fun there. I think I'll check out Windrock sometime too and as far as distance, according to MapQuest, it's the same distance/time roughly.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,166 Posts
I had a great time. My first real wheeling trip with boulders. I would not want to ride up or down the switchbacks if it were raining. We were out on an unclassified trail that was really creepy. Vertical wall on one side. Vertical drop on the other with only a vehicle width trail beneath me :eek: Some may say different, but that is how I seen it.

·
I think I can make it!!!!
2,315 Posts
I would not want to ride up or down the switchbacks if it were raining.

I have been on the switch backs from the putney side and literally slid all the way to the bottem make the turn and slide all the way to the bottem of the next hill. It is not fun. It was dark too.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you guys climb brians back?

The trail leading up to that was kinda fun

don't know......I did not have a map......I was just fallowing along LOL

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been on the switch backs from the putney side and literally slid all the way to the bottem make the turn and slide all the way to the bottem of the next hill. It is not fun. It was dark too.
We camped on the Putney side........got there thurs evening........it started raining.......hard.......about 8-9 pm and did not stop till sometime after 2:30 am (when i went to sleep)...........those switch backs were indeed slick when we hit the trail the next morning........not as bad as what you are talking but enough to make it interesting........that and my wheelbase ment I had to make three point turns on all of them LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts