Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
42,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would try out a harbor freight chop saw that was on sale for $79.00.
I couldn't touch a milwaukee or a dewalt for under $149.00.

I bought this for our work guys, and all it is used for is cutting up solid unistrut on a daily basis.

First impression was JUNK.. Until I realized the only junky part about it was the crappy blade they include with it.

I purchased some good high quality blades, and it has probably made over 500 cuts, and hasn't missed a beat.

Actually impressed by it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
:woot:

I almost bought one of those when HF had a sidewalk sale last week. I shoulda done it but I suppose I should get the welder first.

·
I've got big balls
139 Posts
I like mine haven't had any problems with it. I even have there hydralic tube bender. That works OK should of bought a really nice one, but works for now.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
The HF brand blades seem to glaze up for me if I try to cut anything heavy, like some 1"x3" flat stock.

I need to try some other blades to see if its better.

Or, does anyone have a good method for deglazing them? No, pouring red wine on it and scraping with a wooden spoon doesn't work...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I just picked up new Milwaukee for $140:rock:

I have always liked the DeWalt blades that run about $5 each. They last awhile and cut clean for the life of the blade and have no tendency to clog or glaze.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Mine has worked fine for months, and I use it pretty hard. Only problems I've had are the harbor freight brand blades glazing, and I had the ground prong break off the cord, but I think thats more of an issue with my extension cord..

All in all, not bad, but I'll move to a band saw when I find one I like.... an a plasma cutter, which I hope to order this week.

·
'96 360 sport 4x4
684 Posts
i have a dewalt and i swear by dewalt...but from what i am hearing, i might have to go pick up a HF...how big is the HF?

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
Haggar said:
Mine has worked fine for months, and I use it pretty hard. Only problems I've had are the harbor freight brand blades glazing, and I had the ground prong break off the cord, but I think thats more of an issue with my extension cord..

All in all, not bad, but I'll move to a band saw when I find one I like.... an a plasma cutter, which I hope to order this week.

Can I come over?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts