Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Handheld GPS units

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  WTB Jeep 
#1 ·
Alright, I've seen some discussion and comparisons on here between units but not sure what opinions are on for the most functional ones.
I am looking for a unit to use most importantly for snowmobiling, ATVing, and offroad in my TJ. If I could use it in the city as well, that would be great but not a deal breaker.
Who has what and what advice can anyone share?

THANKS

#3 ·
I have a garmin Etrex for sale 40.00 It the base model no maps but is in great shape and works just find. Always got me where i needed to go.
However the gps with the maps or good for boating and traveling, a real nice feature. I hear aton of good things about the tom toms.

Good luck

#4 ·
I personally use a Garmin Oregon 400t. It has topo for the US already on it. And I also have the road software on a SD card so I can switch back and forth. It also leaves tracks and you can upload the files to your computer and video your trails on google maps if you convert them to kmz format ( theres websites that do it) so you can view your trails on google maps. Its pretty sweet!

#5 ·
I just picked up a Garmin Colorado 400T. I use it for metal detecting, berry & morel picking. I just picked up a dash mount for it and hope to map out trail networks. The topo maps are really a great feature. The trax feature is great for deep woods uncharted trips....

#11 ·
The Garmin handhelds mentioned are all good. The Delormes are ok but the earlier models were known to be slow. Magellan hs the shittiest customer service. Avoid. Garmin's is spectacular.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 550 (dashmount) with the Midwest topos loaded via an SD card too. I can use t as a handheld for a couple hours if I want too.

#13 ·
Hope you don't ever need it either. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to call them about the POS (Xplorer??) I had. The issue was never solved either.

My first Garmin crapped-out 2 months out of warranty. They sent me a brand new one no charge and no hassles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.