1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
The lowest level exam (technician) is pretty easy. Many radio clubs offer classes, but are probably on hold right now. You can get a book, and find practice exams online. The exams are administered by radio clubs, but again, all of that is suspended right now.

But, you don't need a ham licence to operate that radio. FRS is free for everyone to use, but is restricted to 2 watts, so that radio would be a waste. For GMRS your supposed to have a GMRS licence, there is no exam, just a $70 fee. It's good for 10 years and covers all family members. You can apply online. I don't know how many people actually get a licence, nor do I know how much enforcement there is.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lowest level exam (technician) is pretty easy. Many radio clubs offer classes, but are probably on hold right now. You can get a book, and find practice exams online. The exams are administered by radio clubs, but again, all of that is suspended right now.

But, you don't need a ham licence to operate that radio. FRS is free for everyone to use, but is restricted to 2 watts, so that radio would be a waste. For GMRS your supposed to have a GMRS licence, there is no exam, just a $70 fee. It's good for 10 years and covers all family members. You can apply online. I don't know how many people actually get a licence, nor do I know how much enforcement there is.
The last several trail rides it has been this style radio, or the handheld version. Almost no one was running CB on the regular. I need to upgrade, so I figure I'd do it all.

I have found several online classes, I'd like to do it that way as I do not want to be pressured to join a club.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
I bought a study guide, basically everything says to read the sample test questions and answers. Then when you take the test you pick the right answers by word association.

I took the test a local club put on and passed, it was pretty easy. I did not take the class the club put on.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
I bought a study guide, basically everything says to read the sample test questions and answers. Then when you take the test you pick the right answers by word association.

I took the test a local club put on and passed, it was pretty easy. I did not take the class the club put on.
There's a pool of 428 questions and 35 will be on the exam. It seems like a lot to try to remember that way but whatever works.

·
Old School
33,015 Posts

Friend of mine took the classes and had me help him practice for the test. My background from a young child was electronics, so I took the sample test cold just to see how much I remembered. Got a 92%, I was a little weak on antenna theory.

My friend was trying to talk me into taking the actual test, but I didn't need another hobby I couldn't afford :sonicjay:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
I got my HAM license back in 05 or so. I don't remember shit other than it's a great glorified CB. LOL

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
I got my HAM license back in 05 or so. I don't remember shit other than it's a great glorified CB. LOL
Yep

I don't have any equipment and have never used anything but my handheld on trail rides. I just got it to be legal. Cb use is pretty non-existent west of Mississippi I've found. The lj adventure I've attended a few times, it's a requirement to have one. They font use cb. I don't even recall what my call sign is and where to find it at this point. It's written down somewhere.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
There's a pool of 428 questions and 35 will be on the exam. It seems like a lot to try to remember that way but whatever works.
The bulk of the questions are the same though, just worded different.

I'm just saying when I took my test, all the study guides and resources I read online suggested that tatic.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
12,984 Posts
THose would be fightin word in some parts.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
I've had mine since '03. Its a glorified CB for me too. I barely turn it on anymore.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I and most of my buddies found the 'No-Nonsense' study guides from KB6NU to be pretty easy to read and plenty good to pass the exam.
His Technician level guide is free, the General and Extra are a couple bucks. For wheelers the tech is plenty.
https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

Most vehicle mounted 2 meter radios have about 50 watts vs. the 4 watts CB or 5 watts FRS are legally allowed to run. The antennas for a 2 meter are much more reasonably sized to be on a wheeling rig vs. a CB antenna. For example, at 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna is about 49" long. As CB is essentially the 11-meter band having even a 1/4 wave antenna (108" long) on a wheeling rig is tough.
2 meter radios generally run FM vs. CB radios using AM. The clarity difference is pretty similar to the FM vs. AM clarity difference in your car radio.

If you happen to have a call sign and can't remember it you can look here:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

If you get a real hard-on to get your ticket shoot me a PM. My buddies and I are VEs and can administer the exam. We ain't skeer'd of the beer virus....

Hope that helps!

WI1S

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I and most of my buddies found the 'No-Nonsense' study guides from KB6NU to be pretty easy to read and plenty good to pass the exam.
His Technician level guide is free, the General and Extra are a couple bucks. For wheelers the tech is plenty.

Most vehicle mounted 2 meter radios have about 50 watts vs. the 4 watts CB or 5 watts FRS are legally allowed to run. The antennas for a 2 meter are much more reasonably sized to be on a wheeling rig vs. a CB antenna. For example, at 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna is about 49" long. As CB is essentially the 11-meter band having even a 1/4 wave antenna (108" long) on a wheeling rig is tough.
2 meter radios generally run FM vs. CB radios using AM. The clarity difference is pretty similar to the FM vs. AM clarity difference in your car radio.

If you get a real hard-on to get your ticket shoot me a PM. My buddies and I are VEs and can administer the exam. We ain't skeer'd of the beer virus....

Hope that helps!

WI1S
Thanks, I ended up buying the 15 watt MXT115 Midland above. I know I need the GMRS license at the least, but it mentions repeater frequencies, so I imagine I need the Tech license for those, it also mentions permission since they are privately owned. I got some researching to do either way.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts

Hope that helps!

WI1S

:thumb:

KE8IUG

·
Registered
132 Posts
That Midland is a GMRS radio. They operate near the 2 meter (ham) band, but they're off just a bit. To legally run one of those you need a permit (I believe that's what they'd call it....) You don't have a skills test, you just pay a fee and then you can run them in an area for a certain amount of time. Or something like that. Not 100% sure to be honest.......But I think that's what loggers or gravel pits or things like that would run. Pretty sure it's what a lot of race teams use. Either way they SHOULDN'T be able to talk to 2 meter radios.

I have this little TYT-8600 mounted in my rock buggy. It's one of the few 2 meter radios that's waterproof. It sits up where a sunvisor would be in my cage and has been pretty wet a number of times. It doesn't seem to mind a bit. A few of my buddies have gotten them as well.
https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-8600-Waterproof-136-174MHz-400-480MHz/dp/B07DPNN6RD
and then I have the mic clipped to one of these, so I can feel like a trucker. :beer:
https://www.amazon.com/GearKeeper-Automatic-Microphone-Retractor-Radios/dp/B00361UOTM

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That Midland is a GMRS radio. They operate near the 2 meter (ham) band, but they're off just a bit. To legally run one of those you need a permit (I believe that's what they'd call it....) You don't have a skills test, you just pay a fee and then you can run them in an area for a certain amount of time. Or something like that. Not 100% sure to be honest.......But I think that's what loggers or gravel pits or things like that would run. Pretty sure it's what a lot of race teams use. Either way they SHOULDN'T be able to talk to 2 meter radios.

I have this little TYT-8600 mounted in my rock buggy. It's one of the few 2 meter radios that's waterproof. It sits up where a sunvisor would be in my cage and has been pretty wet a number of times. It doesn't seem to mind a bit. A few of my buddies have gotten them as well.
https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-8600-Waterproof-136-174MHz-400-480MHz/dp/B07DPNN6RD
and then I have the mic clipped to one of these, so I can feel like a trucker. :beer:
https://www.amazon.com/GearKeeper-Automatic-Microphone-Retractor-Radios/dp/B00361UOTM
Thanks, I had a Gear Keeper remote holder in my jeep, until it kept whipping my boy, he took the remote off :sonicjay:

I can get the GMRS license it looks like test free, This is there I get confused because I always associate repeaters with HAM.

Full 15W Radio + External Magnetic Mount Antenna for extended range

8 repeater channels for increased communication range

15 high power GMRS channels

142 privacy codes

NOAA Weather Radio

Silent Operation

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts

That is a nice little radio. How do you find it works with only 25 watts? My mobile is 75 watts and works awesome but has too many buttons. :confused:

I’ve been looking for a radio for my second Jeep. This might be it.

How is it for quick channel changes and memory? I don’t want one that needs to be hooked to a laptop to change. (I have a hand held like this and I hate it)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts