Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of '78-'79 F-250 axles for my diesel-powered Scrambler project. I want to retain full-width axles, but want to minimize the track width by running Hummer wheels. It looks like H2s are probably my best option, but I don't know if there are certain years to look for, what color/style options are, etc. IIRC, they're available in chrome or not.

I'm not a bling-bling guy, so a satin or painted finish is more appealing to me.

So, my questions are:
  • What years/styles are available?
  • Size is 8.5" wide with 5.5" backspacing, correct?
  • Can I assume that these will clear the HP-D44 steering items as-is?
  • Will I need to bore out the center section to fit around the D60/D70 rear hub?
  • What's the going rate for a set of these wheels?
  • Is there a good source to purchase them?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Craig

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
I have a set of '78-'79 F-250 axles for my diesel-powered Scrambler project. I want to retain full-width axles, but want to minimize the track width by running Hummer wheels. It looks like H2s are probably my best option, but I don't know if there are certain years to look for, what color/style options are, etc. IIRC, they're available in chrome or not.

I'm not a bling-bling guy, so a satin or painted finish is more appealing to me.

So, my questions are:
  • What years/styles are available?
  • Size is 8.5" wide with 5.5" backspacing, correct?
  • Can I assume that these will clear the HP-D44 steering items as-is?
  • Will I need to bore out the center section to fit around the D60/D70 rear hub?
  • What's the going rate for a set of these wheels?
  • Is there a good source to purchase them?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Craig
Stick to butchering Jeeps, and stop butchering my Fords.......................

Just kidding, You know craig, there are some stock Ford 7" rims for that year, you might be able to get by with them instead going through all this hassle. (Not to mention, those baby Moon hubcaps that we talked about will pop right on them)

Oh and I have a Plasma Cutter now to cut the centers out of the Caps for the front Rims.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
sorry craig - i know this is jeep tech but i can resist.

Bling bling
Everytime I come around yo city
Bling bling
Pinky ring worth about fifty
Bling bling
Everytime I buy a new ride
Bling bling
Lorenzos on Yokahama tires
Bling bling
All day my phone ringin bling bling bling
Can see my earring from a mile bling bling

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know craig, there are some stock Ford 7" rims for that year, you might be able to get by with them instead going through all this hassle.
I actually got a set of 16" x 7.5" wheels from the same truck, but I want as much backspacing as possible. I'll measure up the backspacing on the stock wheels tonight.

sorry craig - i know this is jeep tech but i can resist.

Bling bling
Everytime I come around yo city
Bling bling
Pinky ring worth about fifty
Bling bling
Everytime I buy a new ride
Bling bling
Lorenzos on Yokahama tires
Bling bling
All day my phone ringin bling bling bling
Can see my earring from a mile bling bling
You young guys and your rap music. :sonicjay: Actually, I'm not familiar with that one, but may have to do a quick search on YouTube.

Craig

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave. eBay crossed my mind, but shipping would be prohibitive. I'll keep an eye on craigslist. Unfortuntely, there's nothing listed in the Grand Rapids area.

Any other sources of Michigan-based H2 take-offs? Businesses, perhaps?

Craig

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
so your saying that the 8bolt Ford pattern is the same as the 8bolt H2 pattern?

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
  • What years/styles are available? Any H2 years, chrome or grey
  • Size is 8.5" wide with 5.5" backspacing, correct?Yes
  • Can I assume that these will clear the HP-D44 steering items as-is?Yes
  • Will I need to bore out the center section to fit around the D60/D70 rear hub?Yes
  • What's the going rate for a set of these wheels? $200-250 for grey, more for bling
  • Is there a good source to purchase them? Any offroad forum seems to be the best deal
Hope it helps

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so your saying that the 8bolt Ford pattern is the same as the 8bolt H2 pattern?
Yes. My understanding is that the older 1-ton axles have the same bolt pattern, which is why a lot of people swapping in Dana 60s use H1 or H2 wheels.

I'm waiting for 99grandtj to chime in, as he has schooled me about these 8-lug wheels in the past. I'm a relative newbie in regards to 8-lug stuff. EDIT: He beat me to this reply.

Craig

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
I am looking for some H1's Craig, If a set shows up next to my axles and I get billed I am ok with that :tonka:

·
10 0011 10101
2,336 Posts
Craig, I'm headed over in a couple weeks (weekend of the 12th/13th), If you can find a set over here and aren't in a rush to get 'em I can bring them with me.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Yes. My understanding is that the older 1-ton axles have the same bolt pattern, which is why a lot of people swapping in Dana 60s use H1 or H2 wheels.

I'm waiting for 99grandtj to chime in, as he has schooled me about these 8-lug wheels in the past. I'm a relative newbie in regards to 8-lug stuff. EDIT: He beat me to this reply.

Craig
Thanks criag and 99grandtj

Some H2 rims might just look good on my tow rig!!

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I agree with Adam with the addition that you aren't going to use the factory steering arm, so that doesn't matter. I've had them on my Ram in the past when I had trail tires and I also have a set for the Suburban. Leanz is going to run them on her YJ, which was initially going to have the same axles you have (now a 78 HPD60).

They are relatively inexpensive, have a universal style that lets them look nice on a wide variety of vehicles, and they look good when painted in color schemes. Don't buy them if you ever want beadlocks. The DIY kits don't work out so well with them.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go with H1s
Why H1s, John? Where could I have them recentered? What's the maximum backspacing I could have and still clear everything?

Do you have a set of H1s?

20 more questions to follow after your next reply... :tonka:

Craig

·
Axle Guru Extraordinaire
7,921 Posts
I have a set of 8 lug wheel spacers for sale, put them on the front, run the rear 70 stock, and run stock H1's. Pretty sure they would clear the steering with the spacers.

Double beadlock is the bestests

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Craig, I'm headed over in a couple weeks (weekend of the 12th/13th), If you can find a set over here and aren't in a rush to get 'em I can bring them with me.
BTW, thanks for the offer, redmud. I'll keep it in mind. :thumb:

Craig

1 - 20 of 41 Posts