Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this was for some special engineering test and not for a fun paid for trip to the dunes or something.. riiiiiiight...

click for bigger

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Yeah, I haveNEVER seen any of the OEMs testing their rigs off-road. :miff:

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
we run our F-series and Explorers all over the place, some of those places require ORV permits...

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where do you work? any of the instrumented f series and explorers? i work on them. i just found the picture funny. i know it happens.

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
Actually According to Michigan Law they must be 'Testing' or 'Transporting' the vehicle to be legal with an 'M' plate. Chances are it was just an engineer that had the vehicle for the weekend and decided to go play with it @ Silver Lake. If he/she was truly testing there would have been more than one vehicle. However, 'M' plates mean nothing more than something is on that vehicle that is not available for sale to the general public. Could have been something as minor as ceramic wheel bearings to a fire breathing 700 HP SC Small Block under the hood. Every one of the vehicles in our fleet here are 'M' plated and I drive them home all the time. You never know what's under the hood!
jim-kb8ymf

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
haha yeah i see under the hood on a lot of em and its damn scary sometimes.
yea, my dad brings jeeps home all the time. early wk's xk's, talk about problems. had airbags go off for no reason. engine wouldnt shut off even with key out, new style not really a key anymore. and countless others.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
All press vehicles that are provided by the manufacturer for testing wear manufacturer plates too. So, if a magazine has a vehicle for testing, and wants to do testing or photos in the dirt, they would put an ORV sticker on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts