Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that know about the hummers (H1s). I've been looking at some of the mid to late 90's hummers and some have the diesel engine while others have the 350 gas motor. Which is better and why?

·
Coil springs are for pens
3,453 Posts
The 6.5 gets much better MPG, but with the H1's high under hood temps it needs a PMD remote mount/cooler to be reliable. The diesel tows better. A large number of the Z VIN code 6.5 diesels made from 96-01 had defective blocks that crack in the #8 cyl wall. I believe you'd be hard pressed to find one by now, as most all of these engines have failed and been replaced. The updated blocks are easy to spot if you know where to look.

The gas engine is easier/cheaper to work on, but usually doesn't last as long as the diesel. Very bad mileage.

Other considerations:
  • Pre 97.5 has a HVAC system that is obsolete and very expensive to update.
  • Transfer case cooling loop failure on pre 2001 models causes trans/t-case to self destruct (recall item).
  • Maintainance records not up to date. A lot of people that can't do the maintainance themselvs balk at $1000+ 12,000 mile service intervals, $1200 brake jobs, $1000 radiators....etc...and let the truck fall into disrepair. Bringing a truck that's in disrepair up to snuff can easily get to be a $10,000 ordeal if driveline parts need to be replaced.
  • The only service manuals available are from AMG and are several hundred dollars.
Take a knowledgeable H1 owner with you to look over a truck before you buy, as there are many little things to look out for when buying a used H1.

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
The 6.5 gets much better MPG, but with the H1's high under hood temps it needs a PMD remote mount/cooler to be reliable. The diesel tows better. A large number of the Z VIN code 6.5 diesels made from 96-01 had defective blocks that crack in the #8 cyl wall. I believe you'd be hard pressed to find one by now, as most all of these engines have failed and been replaced. The updated blocks are easy to spot if you know where to look.

The gas engine is easier/cheaper to work on, but usually doesn't last as long as the diesel. Very bad mileage.

Other considerations:
  • Transfer case cooling loop failure on pre 2001 models causes trans/t-case to self destruct (recall item).
  • Maintainance records not up to date. A lot of people that can't do the maintainance themselvs balk at $1000+ 12,000 mile service intervals, $1200 brake jobs, $1000 radiators....etc...and let the truck fall into disrepair. Bringing a truck that's in disrepair up to snuff can easily get to be a $10,000 ordeal if driveline parts need to be replaced.
  • The only service manuals available are from AMG and are several hundred dollars.
Take a knowledgeable H1 owner with you to look over a truck before you buy, as there are many little things to look out for when buying a used H1.
I think your full of shit. BigCuntry said so.

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Other considerations:
Thanks for the info. What year is your wagon? I am looking at a mid-to late 90's convertible one.

·
Coil springs are for pens
3,453 Posts
Thanks for the info. What year is your wagon? I am looking at a mid-to late 90's convertible one.
2001, It started life as a demo (AMG execs take home truck). I don't know if that's good or bad having an off road test track where he worked :sonicjay:. Then through a long sorded ordeal I ended up with it. I know of a couple owners down your way if you find one. There's a pretty good network (support group :tonka: ) of owners in the midwest and the Michigan Hummer Owners Group has several runs a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts