Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, where does the shock 'bottom out' for practical purposes. Do you actually compress that last 1" or so?

Just trying to design how high to make my shock mounts, and where to notch my frame to clear the shocks at full droop (narrow axles :( )

Curious to see how much travel/shock shaft showing everyone is running.

thnx.

·
Registered
130 Posts
yep, they compress completely...16" SAW's all around on a buggy with limit straps that keep me around 14-15" of usable travel...I run them mid stroke (8" showing) which seems to be a good compromise of stability and still offers a plush ride (I also have air bumps, when it hits them - you know it!)

We are building a Spidertrax front for my buddies TJ and its set up with 14" fox and about 6" showing.......

The rear was already on airshocks and running 5-6" ish with 16's...

any other ?'s let me know...been messing with them a little and have found that more oil helps alot...both of us are running 30-50cc more than factory...

·
5,820 Posts
they will bottom out completely... if you have them "full" to the point they hydro-lock upon full compression the ride will be so harsh your back wont like it for a few days...

plan on making everything clear for all 14" of travel... any less than 4" of shaft showing and you will notice it bottoming on the harder hits, nothing you can do about that... 4-5 is about right and anything over that and the typical air shock "traits" start to show... excessive body roll, excessive unloading, etc. keep it between 4-5" and it'll ride and handle great.

I'm building mine for 5" in the rear and 4" in the front with air bumps mounted inboard so they dont affect flex but are still there on a hard bottom. there is no need for bump stops but if you do run some I would recommend putting them inboard 6-10" per side.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
depends on the temp and amoutn of oil you have it them

I have 14" shocks front, set up at 4" up (bumpstops start at 2" up), 10 droop. 12" rear setup for 4 up, 8 down.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, I was thinking between 4 and 5" showing. Thanks :)

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
i ran mine between 4-5 all the way around

if i was going to do it again i would mount the rears so there is more like 5-6 because of the lower pressure needed to hold the back of the rig up the progression(may not be right word) of pressure to stop it from bottoming out hard is alot less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts