Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an old shot gun and the barrel needs reblued. It's not rusted just wore from age. Has anyone tried the do it yourself kits?

·
Jeeps, Journey and Jesus
1,651 Posts
I have also done it. Works pretty well. I wouldn't do it on a really nice gun (take it to be professionally done), but if the gun is a daily user or a less expensive one, the do it yourself kits are great.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
If it has any collector value at all, re-bluing will ruin it. An OLD blue gun should look brown. Bluing is actually a rust process.

I have never tried the home kits. I did some actual bluing and nickeling years ago. The finish only came out as good as the prep work. Everything had to be polished to a mirror finish and free of any grease or oil.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a Winchester Ranger model 140 semi auto 12 gauge. I dont think it has any real collector value. So you can polish it to a bright blue? The ones I seen were flat. But those were the kit flint locks. What would a good brand of bluing?

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
no, you polish it to shiny bare metal, then you blue it. At least in real bluing, I still have never done the do-it-yourself kits.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I have done a couple of guns too and has worked nicely. X100 on the prepwork i used progessively finer steel wool on the cleaned metal and then applied the bluing. i would try not to pool up the gel unevenly it will leave spots. eveness is the key.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it dont sound like a kitchen table job. So that means I'll have to use the shop for something other then storing all my shit. Thanks for the info.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
If you want the flat look you can do it that way too. My father in law didn't dry out his muzzle loader and it sorta rusted in the case. He pulled it all apart and had a place glass bead it with fine stuff and then he blued it. Looked awesome and didn't shine anymore. I'm thinking about doing it to my muzzle loader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts