Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
I think I can make it!!!!
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We need to rename this site greatlakes4x2.com

Everytime I look at somebody posting wheeling pictures everybody jumps on the bandwagon that they are illegal. To edcuate about the law is one thing but it seems to be going to far. We are all suppose to be on the same side. In another thread a guy says you can do other things to help out even if you are not a member of an org. and he get jumped on for his statement. Again we are on the same side.

Please everybody check out some land use threads and try to learn the rules so this site is not cluttered with that is illegal, you cant do that, you cant be there.

I want to see threads about people having fun doing the hobby we all love. So I guess with the laws we better only post pics from the dunes, mounds, private property, and other states.

Happy wheeling

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
I think you mis interpit jumping on the bandwagon in regards to wheeling. we have had many people post up pics of them selves or someone else doing illegal wheeling. the problem here is as in any web page...The DNR is reading these too. do you see the problem? its very clear to me as well as others if you rob a bank do you post your address and tell how you did it? its in bad taste when we work very hard to keep our riding areas open to post stuff like that, so as many have harranged people about it, its just an issue we deal with on a knee jerk level. please feel free to post up anything you have for pics, we just want them to be from Private property or somewhere legal.

·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand Yetti that was my point also. A kid posted earlier this week of his experiance in kentucky and again he got jumped on. We dont know the laws in kentucky so why was he getting jumped on? I just would like everybody to stop jumping to conclusions until they know the facts. If it wrong than jump all over them.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,448 Posts
Cvwindows,
It's a fine line for sure. Some guys posted a video of illegal wheeling and GLFWDA gets a call.

Some locals on Drummond Island tear up a field and GLFWDA gets a call.

Both times from the DNR.

It's no fun to always be on the defensive with the DNR. I don't think the guy on the other site got jumped on from the start. He posted some stuff and was asked what was wrong with GLFWDA.

A recent post today showed pics of wheeling in the Ortonville area. It wasn't GLFWDA members who questioned it and said it was illegal. It was responsible people who are trying to carry the same message: wheel responsibly and don't make it worse.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
if you notice in that thread that you speak of it was posted to not rip on him till we know the laws and regs of were he was wheeling. But as Yetti said we do rip on people that illegally wheel because we work hard to keep open what we have and try to make or relations better with the DNR that read this site also.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,448 Posts
I just went back and read that thread. I thought it had pretty fair dialog going on until he said:

"So there take that answer and shuv it up your self centered ass if you think your ORG is the only hope we have."

That is pretty agressive and arguementative statement & quite frankly I don't think the prior discussion warranted that reply.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
theirs no need for us (the responsible wheeling community) to do damage control, when theirs no proof of damage. And their lies the intent of us "jumping on the band wagon", we are trying to stop it before it happens.

·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went back and read that thread. I thought it had pretty fair dialog going on until he said:

"So there take that answer and shuv it up your self centered ass if you think your ORG is the only hope we have."

That is pretty agressive and arguementative statement & quite frankly I don't think the prior discussion warranted that reply.

Just my .02
I agree with you, that was over the top. I will say though his point was correct in the fact that you dont have to join an org to help. On the other hand it is best to do both. Join the big group for the big fight and help where you can also.

·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A recent post today showed pics of wheeling in the Ortonville area. It wasn't GLFWDA members who questioned it and said it was illegal. It was responsible people who are trying to carry the same message: wheel responsibly and don't make it worse.
I was in no way blaiming GLFWDA as the one or group jumping on people. It was a general statement of many different people on this site. That is why I did not mention any group or single person. This is not a blame game just trying to get back to the fun.

Whiterhino, I know you are a member of GLFWDA. Are you on the board also? Are you in a specific club?

·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theirs no need for us (the responsible wheeling community) to do damage control, when theirs no proof of damage. .
The above statement could have stopped here.
how about edcuate instead of "jumping on the bandwagon" and getting argumentative about right and wrong.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I agree with you, that was over the top. I will say though his point was correct in the fact that you dont have to join an org to help. On the other hand it is best to do both. Join the big group for the big fight and help where you can also.
Honestly it may BE the only way to help aside from not doing illegal stuff, and helping clean up trails, and those aren't the bigest ways. MONEY runs this country, he who pays for the best lobbyist(s) wins. Honestly I doubt there are many senators/governors/whatever that really give a shit about wheeling, most probably think we are just dumb ********.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
It would seem you have brought down the wrath of the internet appone you. to say the least our readers are deffensive about our trail system, but you have to realize too that we are 30 years into this fight. some of us are just Pups at this and we have a load to learn and how to wrangle people & properties to our causes. the best advise I can give is to join a Club like Glfwda and be a part of the cure to our access issues rather then make waves and assumtions about how we should be doing it...we have OMB for that.

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
The above statement could have stopped here.
how about edcuate instead of "jumping on the bandwagon" and getting argumentative about right and wrong.
Sometimes that is easier said than done, especially when it is a full time job trying to keep up on damage control. It is kinda like when you tell the cop when he pulls you over for an infraction that you didnt know you were doing something wrong. He then tells you it is your responsibility to know the law, ignorance of the law is no excuse, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that when I was younger.:sonicjay:

These laws are posted on this forum so the folks here understandably get upset when the pics get posted from someone doing something that gives the sport an even a bigger black eye.

Maybe we need a sticky that says read here before posting pics. This read here post could say something like, picture location and clarification required before posting.

·
used to be Ironman
3,215 Posts
Honestly it may BE the only way to help aside from not doing illegal stuff, and helping clean up trails, and those aren't the bigest ways. MONEY runs this country, he who pays for the best lobbyist(s) wins. Honestly I doubt there are many senators/governors/whatever that really give a shit about wheeling, most probably think we are just dumb ********.
I wonder sometimes what people think when I pass them on the road. Especially the ones who give me dirty looks for driving a lifted vehicle, (which is common here in Midland) if they only knew the real me. Of course that can be said for anybody that is different from yourself.

And yes if we could afford to spend some of the money other organizations do on a lobbyist we could one hell of a fullsize 4x4 trail system in MI.

·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would seem you have brought down the wrath of the internet appone you. to say the least our readers are deffensive about our trail system, but you have to realize too that we are 30 years into this fight. some of us are just Pups at this and we have a load to learn and how to wrangle people & properties to our causes. the best advise I can give is to join a Club like Glfwda and be a part of the cure to our access issues rather then make waves and assumtions about how we should be doing it...we have OMB for that.

I guess I did not know I had brought the wrath upon myself. This is a discussion not a fight. I have not made assumtions of how GLFWDA should be doing it. My statements only pertain to this site and the posts I have seen. I have no problem getting onto someone who is breaking the law. Although last I checked in this country it was innocent until proven guilty. Not he is in four wheel drive it must be illegal.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts