Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XJ Crazed
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would ask Greatlakes4x4 since I am at a loss. The wife and I bought an old farm house and tucked away in the barn is a 55 gal drum full of bearing grease, Jackpot :woot:....wrong! From the look of the drum and knowing the house history I would guess the grease is well over 50 years old and now the consistency of beeswax. Therefore how do I get rid of the grease in the correct and lawful manner? Going back on the sellers isn't an option since the contract said the barn mess was our problem.

·
Gustafson
9,103 Posts
I would contact Shelby Township. I found this online but the dates could be changed because of COVID-19.

"Gfl Services single family residential customers in Shelby Township may dispose of used motor oil at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day which is normally held the last Saturday of April each year at the Township Municipal Building, 52700 Van Dyke, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.."

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
My hillbilly upbringing would advise you to light the top and the rest will take care of itself!

Joking aside, I'm assuming you will have to pay to get rid of it however you figure it out. Some cities and counties have hazardous material collection dates a few times a year but my guess is they won't take that large of a quantity.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,400 Posts
^^^^ Might be a good idea..

Call crystalflash, google it. They may be able to help.

I would also call a couple parts stores, they might be able to help.

Last weird idea. Cut it down with diesel and it would be like oil. Oil can be recycled for free at most parts stores...

·
XJ Crazed
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly Household Hazardous Waste Day wants nothing to do with such a large quantity. I called Safety Kleen and they only work with businesses and their parent company Clean Harbors will dispose of it for $700, no thanks! Thinking CL or Facebook Marketplace for free is the way to go and see if anyone takes it. As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure!

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
While time consuming you can get rid of it for $0 by mixing it with old motor oil and turning it in.

·
Gustafson
9,103 Posts

·
Skymaster
2,515 Posts
They have a hazardous waste event in Oakland County and they said no drums but they take 5 gallon buckets. So if you can't get rid of it on cl or fb you could probably repackage it and take it to the hazmat event.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts