Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Grandparents rights. I dont want Links to websites( I know how to use google). Im looking for personal experiences with this. My cousins ex wife is not letting his parents see their grandkids. He passed away several years ago and they have not seen the kids since the funeral, almost 4 years. she lives in a different state. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I dont want to get into the details but the proverbial SH!T is about to hit the fan with this. She did some stuff that is going to light a fire under my family like no other.

There will be a lawyer involved very soon.

Im so angry right now that im shaking. And those who know me, know that im a very level headed person. But I am so pissed off right now.

· too broke to wheel
1,734 Posts
when i went through f.o.c. stuff a few years back i was told that they all but did away with grandparents rights. i know thats not really what you wanted to hear and maybe they were blowing smoke up my ass but thats what the judge told my mother and grandmother when my ex wouldnt let them see my daughter.

· There watching me! (.)(.)
11,444 Posts
WOW, I'm sorry to hear this Romey. I know now being a grandfather of a 7 year old and would do what it takes to see him, I think you guys are on the right track with getting a lawyer. I would just check with the lawyer that they can practice law in the state which they lives in. I hope for the best and it is a shame that the child can't get to know their grandparents. Good luck!

· EvL 1
3,566 Posts
Ya hate to say it but it's all but impossible to get michigan courts to grant rights to grandparents. Even though the law states:
MICHIGAN: A court may award visitation rights if the child's parents' marriage is terminated, the parents separate, or custody of the child is given to a third party other than the child's parents. Adoption cuts off the visitation rights of grandparents unless the adoption is granted to a stepparent.

· Premium Member
14,636 Posts
Rome,
Unfortunately grandparents have no rights.

We looked into this when my sister was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago. The fear was her ex-husband (who never see's my niece) would take my niece so we were prepping for a custody battle to allow my mother to keep her.

· Catch the wave
7,988 Posts
when i went through f.o.c. stuff a few years back i was told that they all but did away with grandparents rights. i know thats not really what you wanted to hear and maybe they were blowing smoke up my ass but thats what the judge told my mother and grandmother when my ex wouldnt let them see my daughter.
this is consistent with what our estate planning attorney indicated when we were setting up our trust, and wills.

it's even more convoluted if they are in another State.

· Motrcytman's spouse
7,201 Posts
Romey, I don't have anything to add except I know that if you are that pissed off, it's bad.

Good luck man.
Ditto. Sorry Romey. Their only consultation is that once 18 years old, they can search out their grandchildren and meet up then. So sorry!

I know children who were always told by their moms that their dad was crap, only to seek out dad later and realize mom was crap.... Point being that these things always come back to bite the real jerk in the butt.

· Premium Member
46,076 Posts
My uncle died when he was 29. he had a kid. his former wife moved to georgia after his death. my dad hired a lawyer, in the end, she was forced to move back because my grandma had rights to see the child. this was in 1995. I can't believe my uncle has been dead for 15 years. the laws may be different.

for the record, I talked to romey this morning for a while, and this was the 2nd time I've seen mad romey.

quick research leads me to believe the court case of Troxel v. Granville changed all the rules in 2002

· Registered
493 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about this, and know what you are going through,..

Unfortunately I had to look into this as well, as was stated above, the Grandparents really don't have any rights. They changed the laws a few years ago.

My wife and I have a Grandaughter that is a year and 1/2 old that we have not even seen yet. My son lives with his Girlfriend somewhere out in Muskegon and she will not let him see his side of the family.

Been a long tough road with no end in site,.......Just a lot of praying for now,..

· Registered
563 Posts
well you can call my attorney and probably set up a phone consult atleast she will give you some insight shes good but in grand rapids. but she can atleast tell you if its worth trying the courts.
616-942-6400 her name is mary and shes cool shes saved my ass a few times.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I have a Sister-in-law that was forced to have joint custody with her ex's mother when he past.

The way it was explained to me is it's case by case. But if only 1 parent is still living grandparents can fight for there rights but it's a long hard road.

And this is something that is going on now..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.