Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total gps noob. I have an etrex legend. My question is can I - or how do I view or download .gpx files? Im looking at gpx files people have posted on this forum.

So far Ive been on garmin.com and geocaching.com and Ive been able to download local caches to my unit, but thats as far as Ive been able to get...

Do I need to buy a mapsource CD? Or is there some freeware I can use? The owners manual isnt very helpful other than telling me to buy their mapsource software... :confused:

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
On geocaching.com in the "links" section you can download GSAK...Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Free program that will give you nag screens after you use it for 20 days or so (timer counts down 1 second for every day you use it after that). It is an awesome program tho. You can use it to view .gpx files. You can also use it to convert and transfer those .gpx files into absolutely every other map format/program you can think of (and some you can't).

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Victorymike. I also found a little workaround on the Garmin site for installing Mapsource without buying an actual map set. Without the enhanced maps it doesnt show any more detail than the stock loaded base maps, but it allows me to view saved tracks from .gpx files

OMW to check out GSAK right now:beer:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I downloaded a map from Ibycus.com thinking it would be better than the garmin base map that came on the thing - turns out it was total shite map. refresh on the screen went to total crap when panning on the map, and it didnt even have the detail of the garmin map... Guess Ill stick with the garmin map till I can justify $100 for a better mapsource map

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.