Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SwampStomper
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the GPS threads and couldnt find the answer I'm looking for, so here is my question for knowledgable GPS people:

Reading the forums confuses me and everyone has a different oppinion, I even followed links to GPS forums and cannot get the answer Im looking for. I dont want to buy two seperate units, so my question is, In your opinion what is my best option? I do a lot of off roading and traveling, dont care much for turn by turn nav. (tom-tom) but would like something I can use on and off road, along with tracking and mapping for off road.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
That is a nice unit, LOL, but was looking more in the direction and price of the 60CSX. working in the woods and canyons is a little more important than on the water for me, even though it would still work on the boat, I have an older garmin on that.
It is both auto and marine, exactly why I purchased it. The car kit with maps and such is 180 bucks or so....otherwise it still works very well for tracking like trail riding and such.

BTW I dont have the car kit but would like to get it.

·
SwampStomper
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! The Colorado is real nice, but a little overkill for me, I like the 3d map view but does it work everywhere or just on the pre-loaded topographic maps?

·
steveo's alt...
822 Posts
Dont go with garmin. I've had their etrex legend and it SUCKS!!!!. Sucks to a point where if you were to stand next to a tree, you would lose signal. Very poor internal antennae technology.

Go with a magellan.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dont go with garmin. I've had their etrex legend and it SUCKS!!!!. Sucks to a point where if you were to stand next to a tree, you would lose signal. Very poor internal antennae technology.

Go with a magellan.
The old legends had a small built in antenna. The new etrex models that have an H in the name stands for High sensitivity antenna. They work much much better. And the models like the 60csx and colorado have a larger antenna. No problems at all. Garmin has the best customer service and the most open source for working with non garmin applications.

·
Registered
270 Posts
WOW! The Colorado is real nice, but a little overkill for me, I like the 3d map view but does it work everywhere or just on the pre-loaded topographic maps?
I am not sure what you mean by everywhere or just preloaded topos. The topo is the standard map set that shows. To go to the 3d map you have to switch to it. They both work everywhere. You can also buy city navigator nt and load it for turn by turn directions.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,658 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Garmin. My first was a GPS-V Good but monochrome & hard to see compared to color. UP_rocktoy is right about the 276C. Good all around unit. Just the right size screen for in the jeep & the color is great using the topo maps. I have it exclusively for my jeep. I have a 7200 for the motorhome. Too big for the jeep but works great.

The Garmin graphics are very good. Comparing it to Murph's etrex. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I also have the Nuvi. If I could only have one GPS I would have the Colorado handheld. Right now I have a Etrex legend, a Colorado 400T and a Nuvi 250W. The colorado works better for the outdoorsmen.

·
FarmBoy
88 Posts
I can vouch for the 60cx or 60csx. For the price you just can't get a better unit. IMHO of course. :sonicjay: It'll do everything you're asking it to do. Ordered mine on Amazon with the car mount, handlebar mount, and 12v adapter for well under $300 shipped

I'm on my third Garmin and their support is top notch. The units are great.
I've owned a Legent, a GPS V and now the 60cx.

-jeff

1 - 20 of 31 Posts