·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
these arent too difficult are they? for a D30

·
The Man Myth And Legend
5,133 Posts
noooooooooooooooooo they are not.......bolt in at both end's :confused: thought they were only bolted in on 1 end..??? never seein one that bolted at both???

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They bolt in at each end like any other driveshaft.
noooooooooooooooooo they are not.......bolt in at both end's :confused: thought they were only bolted in on 1 end..??? never seein one that bolted at both???
PP not my front driveshaft my front axle shafts.

Big Jay my front driveshaft is bolted on both ends.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Ah-ha! Having a good description in the title makes a big difference, eh? :sonicjay: I thought you were just mangling "double cardan" like a lot of people do and calling them CV's. :tonka:

The only 2 things that are a PITA is possibly not having the right socket for the nut on the stub shaft and dealing with the 3 unit bearing bolts on each side. IIRC, they are 12-point, 13mm. You'll want to loosen them, but not take them out. After they are loose, leave the socket on the bolt heads and hit that with the hammer (alternating among the three) to drive the unit bearing out. When you put it back in, clean the bolt threads well and run some anti-sieze around the inside surface of the hole in the knuckle for the unit bearing.

Other than that, I think the CV shaft assembly should install just like a u-joint shaft assembly.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah-ha! Having a good description in the title makes a big difference, eh? :sonicjay:

I thought you were just mangling "double cardan" like a lot of people do and calling them CV's. :tonka:
nooope. but seriously they arent too bad are they?

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
i could change both in like half an hour, they are easy

im not sure where linden is, but if its close enough to me i will gladly lend you a hand next week, i have the whole week off, pm me if you need help

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does the bearing come out easily? that, too me, would seem the only problem i would have. and if autozone get the passenger side shaft in soon.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mongo, jeeperbrian, thanks for the offers to help. however, i should be able to do this myself, if not i will pm one of you guys.

·
8,046 Posts
does the bearing come out easily? that, too me, would seem the only problem i would have. and if autozone get the passenger side shaft in soon.
I have shafts. The unit bearing may stick if it's never been off. Make sure that you use a 12 point 13 mm socket. Once you get the 3 bolts loose, screw them back in almost all the way( 2-3 turns from being finger tight. Put the socket on the bolt head and give a few good whaps with a hammer. Alternate between the 3 bolts. As they bottem out on the knuckle, back them out a little and bump em some more. Just make sure that you always have at least a few full threads so that you don't strip anything.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you for the good info.

im pretty sure the bearings have never been off at 133,000. the old owners prolly have no idea what they are :tonka:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
going good, my dad borrowed a 3/4 impact from a friend at work and that nut came right off. then, like you said, i pounded on the bolts to loosen up the bearing and then i slid out the cv shaft.

so it went well, only took about 30 minutes. other side tomorrow or when autozone gets the shaft in.

·
8,046 Posts
going good, my dad borrowed a 3/4 impact from a friend at work and that nut came right off. then, like you said, i pounded on the bolts to loosen up the bearing and then i slid out the cv shaft.

so it went well, only took about 30 minutes. other side tomorrow or when autozone gets the shaft in.
Good deal.:nana:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yup, :nana: :bdr2:

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I had a long go around with my zj front end before putting the 44 in it .

You can buy brand new fronts shafts from Kingdom automotive for less then rebuilts . I bought mine from the local auto parts . They are reverse engeneered and from experience are stronger then the orginal . I paid 65 bucks per side . no core charge either .

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a long go around with my zj front end before putting the 44 in it .

You can buy brand new fronts shafts from Kingdom automotive for less then rebuilts . I bought mine from the local auto parts . They are reverse engeneered and from experience are stronger then the orginal . I paid 65 bucks per side . no core charge either .
the ones i got werent that much more exspensive and they come with lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all done, everything works good and no noises :woot:

gman i payed about 140 for both safts. so not too bad and just a bit more than what you said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts